What's new

Apple Set to Gain Ground on Samsung for Smartphone Marketshare

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 7 smashes pre order records for T Mobile and Sprint.JPG

According to reports in DigiTimes, via AppleInsider, Apple is set to gain ground on Samsung as the market leader in smartphone sales, although Samsung is still expected to be the number one smartphone vendor on into 2017. Apple will continue to have the highest-number of high-end device sales, however, while Samsung’s dominance continues to be across the whole range, from virtually free phones to flagship handsets.

DigiTimes says that Samsung’s shipments will at best be flat in the second half of this year and the first quarter of next year, with only 2.2% growth next year, which would be less growth than the expected market expansion for both 2016 and 2017 of 7%.

Samsung had been expected to produce between 12 million and 13 million Galaxy Note 7 phablets for the second half of 2016, but of course this plan is now in tatters due to the complete discontinuation of the exploding device.

For this reason, DigiTimes says that Samsung’s total smartphone production for the fourth quarter, including all of its phones, will fall to around 70-75 million units, down from the expected 80 million.

Apple’s iPhone 7 is expected to sell approximately 75 million units by the end of 2016, although some estimates have said that Apple could even sell as many as 100 million units.

Apple is then expected to grow its sales by 12% in 2017, based on the sales of the iPhone 7 this year, and a new iPhone next year.

Should Apple actually manage to overhaul Samsung, it would mark the first time since the fourth quarter of 2010 that Apple had topped the smartphone market.

Source: Supply chain reports claim Apple will gain smartphone marketshare in 2016, 2017

I have a guy at work that took his note 7 back and got an iPhone 7 plus. Said he should have jumped ship years ago. The difference in quality and attention to detail is substantial
This is very true. I've heard that from a few first time buyers too.

There's hesitation from anyone that hasn't had an iPhone before and resisting maybe because they feel that buying an iPhone would be 'selling out' what they've been used to forever. But once they give in and try it out, game over. Hands down they notice the benefits right away.

I'd like to see Apple develop phone management software as an alternative to iTunes.

While some business users have no problem using iTunes, I think some, perhaps most, would like a management tool that gets away from the entertainment aspect and concentrates on portability and security of data.

And what goes for business probably goes doubly so for government and military users.

Part of the reason why Apple is considered 'secure' is that closed phone management software. Opening it up, like you're suggesting would allow vulnerability. That's not a place Apple wants to go. Yet.

It's a trade off for any advanced user. The cost of security vs. UX. Gotta be careful which one you're going to cater too. You don't want to ruin UX for the 90% of your users that don't want to tinker with the functionality. They just want a solid, reliable product that works. All the time.

Hi @Junior

No, I don't want to open it up. In fact, I want to close it up even further. I already have people rolling their eyes when I mention iTunes. We know the benefits of Apple equipment but feed that to a CEO whom you've just told to allow a major distraction to his workforce.

"I want them to back up their data, not listen to Megadeth."

Hi guys excuse my ignorance as usual UX ???

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

UE is UX strange l must live on K-Pax

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

I'd like to see Apple develop phone management software as an alternative to iTunes.

While some business users have no problem using iTunes, I think some, perhaps most, would like a management tool that gets away from the entertainment aspect and concentrates on portability and security of data.

And what goes for business probably goes doubly so for government and military users.
I thought that too until recently when I was visiting a friend who is management level for a major pharmaceutical company. They are all Apple. From Mac, to iPhone, iPad Pro, you name it. She has been involved in different areas of development and testing of new and developing drugs, personnel issues,all the things I would have thought were more interested in portability and security rather than entertainment but apparently the it department of this major corporation prefers Apple.

I thought that too until recently when I was visiting a friend who is management level for a major pharmaceutical company. They are all Apple. From Mac, to iPhone, iPad Pro, you name it. She has been involved in different areas of development and testing of new and developing drugs, personnel issues,all the things I would have thought were more interested in portability and security rather than entertainment but apparently the it department of this major corporation prefers Apple.

That's good too, if people can get past the first impressions. I have no problem using iTunes for all aspects of phone management. I just noticed a resistance to it, particularly when the IT guy uses Android.

When I first had a Mac I didn't like iTunes, I think the reason I didn't like it was because I didn't understand how to use it, After taking the trouble to understand it I now think iTunes is great on all my Apple devices.

Must say even now l don't understand it. I have an iTunes Store app on my iPad. This brings me personally nothing, for sure loads of people love it.
But l need another unit to connect to for syncing etc.
Been all through how do l add music to my iPad ticked all the boxes then something goes wrong. I get **ssss and give up. Yeh, yeh my fault as Ivy says practice.

This is not a complaint. My iPhone or iPad do not go wrong, the only times iTunes is used is at major backup, or iOS times. And l forget what l did the last time.
I feel sure that l am not the only one some however are the silence majority.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.