What's new

Apple Releases iOS 9.3 to the Public

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
As expected, Apple held its big keynote today, showing off new Apple Watch bands, iPad Pro models and the previously rumored iPhone SE. Alongside those huge products, the company also released iOS 9.3 to the public.

Going through 7 beta iterations, the new firmware bring many exciting features that iOS owners should find useful:

Night Shift - A new feature which cuts the amount of blue light emitting from an iOS device by adding more yellow tones. Studies have shown that blue light can disrupt a person's sleep and circadian rhythm. The feature can be found in the "Display & Brightness" settings, allowing users to set the amount of yellow tones and even schedule Night Shift for a specific time of day.
nightshiftmodeios93-800x440.jpg
3D Touch Quick Actions - The iPhone 6S and 6S Plus already have quick action toggles for most of the stock iOS applications. iOS 9.3 brings quick actions to Weather, Settings, Compass, App Store, iTunes Store and Health. Weather toggles allow a user to quickly jump to weather according to current location or choose a favorite location. Settings quick actions should be very useful. Pressing firmly on the Setting app displays quick jumps to Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Battery and Wallpaper settings.
weathersettingsquickactions-800x707.jpg
Notes - Apple added new features to the Notes app, including the ability to password protect notes, with either a PIN or Touch ID. There are also new options to organize notes by Date Edited, Date Created, or Title.

Live Photos - On the iPhone 6S models, Live Photos can now be saved to a full resolution still image. Accessing the share sheet on a Live Photo now gives the options "Duplicated as Still Photo".
livephotosstillphotoios93.jpg
Wallet - A small addition was made within the Wallet app to allow users to quickly access the app a pass or credit card originated from. For example, tapping on the credit card linked to Apple Pay will open an app like Bank of America.

Siri - Apple has updated Siri to support new languages including: Malay (Malaysia), Finnish (Finland), and Hebrew (Israel).

App Switcher - Haptic feedback has been added to the App Switcher when using Force Touch on the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

iOS 9.3 is now available to download on iTunes or Over The Air update.

I'm going to wait a while to update my iPad and iPhone until the initial rush is over.

I don't see the fix for the volume icon not showing when using a case with the sleep feature.....

I updated mine as soon as it was available and so far so good- I know quite a few people who had issues updating from pc- and had to restart their pcs and try to reinstall.

Just updated my iPad Air and the promised fix for the volume icon still hast been addressed, Very disappointing.

Last edited:
I love how much smoother it runs- although with the speed tests it allows iPhone 5s-6s plus users to run slightly quicker on their devices 4-5c users not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Night shift is interesting. Obviously, I'll have an adjustment period, but its a little weird with my phone looking brownish-yellow. I'm not ready to say it was easier on my eyes before I went to sleep, but I'll have to give it some time...

Night shift is interesting. Obviously, I'll have an adjustment period, but its a little weird with my phone looking brownish-yellow. I'm not ready to say it was easier on my eyes before I went to sleep, but I'll have to give it some time...
I'm trying it on my iPad, Not sure what I think.

Well, all the above issues aside, I think the genius who wrote the procedure for logging back in after the download needs to find another line of work. Or, at the very least, request a transfer to the shipping or janitorial department.

All was going well until I was required to enter my Apple password - which I couldn't remember. So it offers me the option of entering my email address and I'll be sent a temporary password or whatever other alternatives are available.

Right. Uh huh. And how am I supposed to exit the log-in attempt in order to retrieve the incoming email?

The only other option available to me was the "Skip it" button which tells me that if I choose that route certain parts of ICloud won't work. Soooo, I chose this route and will have to live with whatever functions were lost because of this screw-up.

One would have thought that this kind of possibility would have been anticipated. Isn't that part of programming?