Editor in Chief
- Jul 27, 2011
- Reaction score
The iPhone 5S is officially announced at Apple's big press event, and it looks phenomenal! This may just be the biggest upgrade in iPhone history! Here's a breakdown of everything we know:
- Brand new system-on-a-chip called A7 - It's 64-bit chip - The first ever on a smartphone - iOS 7 apparently runs in 64-bit as well - Chip specs: 64-bit desktop architecture. 2x general purpose registers. Over one billion transistors - iOS 7 has been completely reengineered for 64-bit. Apple's apps are also 64-bit - XCode also supports 64-bit - developers can easily upgrade - the iPhone 5S will still run older 32-bit apps - "It's over twice as fast" in speed - The chart shows a 40x CPU performance bump - Graphics are 56x faster - runs OpenGL|ES 3.0 for better graphics in games - 5 times faster for games - Infinity Blade 3 Officially announced and demoed on the iPhone 5S
- A internal part called the M7 - works alongside the A7 as a "motion co-processor" - measures the accelerometer, compass, and gyroscope - can tell apps if you're stationary, walking, driving, etc.
- Ring around the home button confirmed - it is a Fingerprint scanner called Touch ID - A new sensor: the Touch ID Sensor. It's 170 microns thin, senses 500 ppi, scans your sub-epidermal skin layers - uses a sapphire lens - the ring around the home button is just a "detection ring" which turns on the Touch ID sensor. - ties your iTunes password to your fingerprint - "It's never available to other software." It's never uploaded to Apple's servers or backed up to iCloud.
- Battery life - 3G talk time: 10 hours. 10 Hours LTE browsing - Up to 250 hours of standby - better than the iPhone 5
- The camera has a five-element Apple-designed lens with an F2.2 aperture - sensor has a 15 percent larger active area - pixels are 1.5 microns - "Bigger pixels make a better picture." - focusing on bigger pixels instead of more pixels - camera app sets white balance, exposure, creates a "dynamic local tone map," "autofocus matrix metering" with 15 zones ... all automatically - Also "True tone flash" - dual-LED flash - cool white and warm amber to avoid clashing with color in the room - makes skin tones look better - Auto image stabilization - takes multiple photos, combines them for light levels, but picks the sharpest one - new burst mode - 10 frames per second - will analyze them in real time so it can present you what it thinks is the best shot automatically - Slo-Mo can do 120FPS - captures HD video at 720p at 120FPS -
- That is the new iSight camera." - 28-megapixel panorama, the iPhone adjusts exposure level automatically as you pan
This is an amazing coup for Apple on many levels. Primarily they now have the world's first 64-bit processor in a smartphone. The mobile world just stood up and took notice. Apple is as hot as ever!