What's new

Apple News | SIM Interposer Provides Legally Questionable Unlock For All iPhone 4s [V

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
taken from here: iClarified - Apple News - SIM Interposer Provides Legally Questionable Unlock For All iPhone 4s [Video]

Gevey has released a SIM Interposer which can unlock the iPhone up to iOS 4.3 by force activating the baseband using the emergency dialer.

A blog post by Laforet explains that the SIM Interposer works by adding a EEPROM chip to your SIM card just like a TurboSIM. You then call 112, a number that can be called from any GSM phone, free of charge, with or without a SIM card on any compliant network. Once the call connects you hang up then toggle Airport mode on and off. When the network connection resumes you will be unlocked.

What does it mean to unlockers?
1. It works if A.your network handles 112 calls properly according to the GSM standard; B.they are tolerant to TSMI spoofing and does not actively validate your SIM again for incoming calls.

2. Unlike its ancestors, the i4 SIM interposer is not a drop-in-and-forget device. The exact precedure must be performed should the device restart, lose reception for an extended period of time or move to another PLMN. In all these situations the TMSI expires and has to be obtained again. Theoretically it is possible for a daemon to automate the process similar to ZeroG, but that only makes thing more convoluted.

3. It is, without question, unethical or downright illegal to use the technique anywhere 112 is a legitmate emergency number. Not a huge issue in China where the number is only used for informative purposes and the networks cannot be bothered to fix the issue.

4. All firmware/baseband combinations for the i4 up to iOS4.3 are vulnerable, however the exploit may be patched in any future software updates or via the carrier. If apple can influence providers to block Cydia it is not impossible for them to press them to fix the exploit. The only way to permanently unlock your baseband is NCK.

5. SIM interposer should not harm your phone hardware, however your network could request IMEI and identify your device during the emergency call. Your identity cannot be faked and it is possible that they will ban your account. There is a reason why SIM cards remain legally the property of the service provider: you are not supposed to tamper with them without breaching contract.

6. Notwithstanding all the problems, SIM interposer does not cause any battery drain since it is only active transiently, nor would it cause signal loss because it does not change cellular transmission other than the initial validation step.

Laforet concludes by saying that the $50 mod can be unreliable and is legally questionable. If you are desperate for an unlock it may be worth a try. Otherwise Laforet suggests you wait for the 40-bit NCK hack by the iPhone Dev-Team.

and a video of it working

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOkq9zbXCFc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Unlock iPhone 4 IOS 4.1,4.2.1 , 4.2.1 Baseband 2.10, 3.10[/ame]

Seen a few people asking about this already. I wouldn't recommend it. Specially here in the UK where 112 is used for emergencies...

yeah i would hold off until there is a software unlock if i ever relied on unlock of course..

hey gaz i found out about this uk carrier that uses the o2 network called GIFFGaff are they any good? they do unlimited 3g and its true unlimited texts and X amount fo minutes per month for £10

Never heard of them. Lol.

Dont really care about truly unlimited texts. A couple thousand is enough for me. Truly unlimited internet is what you want. Get that on 3 with the one plan...

wouldn't use either, keep on waiting from dev.team, happy i touch user lol........

wouldn't use either, keep on waiting from dev.team, happy i touch user lol........

i am factory unlocked which means thankfully i dont rely on unlock or any of that stuff..

but i used to rely on it in 2007 when there where no sim free iphones any where and it sucked having to wait. though waiting for unlock never took more then a week lol

but i can imagine some people would be so desperate to use their iphone as a phone again they would be willing to use this method as they once used turbo sims.

I had a turbo sim for my 3G years ago. It lasted about 3 days. Then I decided to find out all about jailbreaking. Never looked back...

I had a turbo sim for my 3G years ago. It lasted about 3 days. Then I decided to find out all about jailbreaking. Never looked back...

i never even tried it lol..

i had the 2007 iphone locked to o2 and needed to use my own sim in cyprus where the iphone was never official and still isent..

but i learnt my lesson from the 2007 model and as soon as there where factory unlocked iphones on the 3g i said to myself its factory unlocked or nothing at all.. and now even the uk has them sim free :D so no way will i make the mistake of trying to buy a locked phone to save money and unlock it with jailbreak and unlock tools and all this baseband holding off crap and shsh blobs that i cant be assed to save ;p..

i really need 3g un restrictor because with truly unlimited 3g why use wifi when you can un restrict the 3g and use like 9GB a month lol.

so i still rely on jailbreak but i dont mind going with out. i jailbroke once with 4.0.1 firmware then havent again since. i rather be on latest firmware then jailbreak

i upgraded to 4.3 beta by the time there was a 4.2.1 jailbreak and now on 4.3 i dont wanna do the tethered thing..

it seems like too much hassle these days to jailbreak. but the apps can be worth it especially if you paid for some.

but if i relied on unlock and had a locked for for months like some people are going crazy sending spam messages to muscle nerd on twitter telling him f u and hurry up and so on.. i would think they would be desperate enough to use this solution no matter how crap it might be..

i always say to them just get it sim free or to a carrier you will use.. dont be cheap ;p