What's new

Apple Makes Free Download of Messages Beta for OS X Mountain Lion Available

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
64-albums3-picture217.JPG

Following on from Apple’s announcement of the forthcoming OS X Mountain Lion, Apple is giving Mac owners the chance to get a little sneak preview of one of the new features, by making the Messages beta available as a free download (click on the link below to get it). When you install Messages on your Mac, it will replace iChat, although your iChat services will still work, so don’t panic! Basically what Messages does is bring iMessage to the Mac, to bring it in line with devices running iOS 5, namely the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, which seems to be the main thrust behind OS X Mountain Lion. Main features of Messages include the ability to send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, as well as being able to start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iOS device. You can also use it to send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations and much more, or launch a FaceTime video call. According to Apple, Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk and Jabber accounts. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Apple - Mac OS X - Download the free Messages Beta.[/FONT]

Thanks very much for the information, i was waiting for this one ever since and finally they did it. Already installed in my comp and iMessage everywhere anywhere now... non stop :) Will Mountain Lion be free for upgrade? Actually the developers version worth $99 so i was wondering if they will end up releasing it free for the public in summer or not.

Installed it last night, this one is going to be a very good app to have. One of the best ios to osx apps..

I wonder how long it will take until osx and ios are the same thing

I know, it's really heading that way it seems!

Installed it last night, this one is going to be a very good app to have. One of the best ios to osx apps..

I wonder how long it will take until osx and ios are the same thing

I know, it's really heading that way it seems!

It really does especially since apple is bringing a lot of features from ios, and people predicted this after lion but since it was very few apps like the app store I thought nothing of it..

BUT now we are seing the notification center and other features such as game center and all these other features that apple is bringing from ios, I would not be surprised if we saw a touch screen mac released also.

But Imessage on the mac is really good having it on osx as well as it will make life so much easier.. those who have the iphone and not a mac or a mac and not a idevice and are able to easily use imessage.

Did you install it?

No sadly I don't have a Mac : ( Really wish I did!

It really does especially since apple is bringing a lot of features from ios, and people predicted this after lion but since it was very few apps like the app store I thought nothing of it..

BUT now we are seing the notification center and other features such as game center and all these other features that apple is bringing from ios, I would not be surprised if we saw a touch screen mac released also.

But Imessage on the mac is really good having it on osx as well as it will make life so much easier.. those who have the iphone and not a mac or a mac and not a idevice and are able to easily use imessage.

Did you install it?

Install the message app and it's working just great. You are right Unleashed, it makes life much easier all of sudden, but now where is my iChat? I can't see my google, yahoo contacts chatting possibilities with them anymore. Is it because it's in beta?

Thanks for sharing. one of my friends got a Macbook last weekend. Wish I have one too.

What an obvious necessary addition. Good for Apple! Being able to text from your computer is so natural a next step. I mean iChat's been able to do that but not to phones and iDevices. It's to iDevices what we really needed.

I don't even use my iPhone to iMessage that much anymore since i've installed the application. It's still not stable yet, sure it's a beta version but it's already a great beginning.

Where can we get the download for this? I looked on the Apple Store from my iMac and I couldn't find the beta download for iMessage on OS X.