What's new

Apple ends up paying $53 million over iPhone water damage trial

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$iphone_water_pool_468.jpg

Apple just can’t seem to stay out of trouble. Just yesterday we reported about the ongoing investigation commenced by the European Commission related to unfair iPhone selling tactics.

Well, today we have another story that places Apple in a court of law yet again. Lawyers representing a multitude of plaintiffs have filed a complaint against the tech giant with the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. The problem they bring in a court of justice is related to Apple not offering a warranty policy in case of devices bein​​g damaged by liquids.

The tech company has even taken precautionary methods as to make it impossible for customers who might have spilled water accidentally on their iPhones to get technical assistance. According to the documents presented in the lawsuit, Cupertino embedded into iPhones and iPods a special indicator technology that shifts color once the device comes into contact with a liquid. On top of that, Apple had a special “liquid damage policy” installed, so when customers come into the Apple store looking for help, employees only had to notice the color change in order to deny assistance.

But according to the unhappy customers, the technology didn’t work all that well and was activated merely by the device being in a humid environment.

But in an attempt to put a stop to the litigation, Apple has agreed to pay $53 million to the injured parties. The money will be distributed amongst 153,000 customers who joined forces to get their money back.

Source: WSJ

It's about time this was dealt with. It's not new either. I was denied service way back in 1998, because my brand new phone supposedly had water damage. I wonder if Ericsson would like to stump up some cash now? Probably not. I don't think they have much left.

On the other hand, the "Sue Apple" mentality appears to be getting out of hand. My wife didn't return my text message. That'll be $15 million, please.

It's about time this was dealt with. It's not new either. I was denied service way back in 1998, because my brand new phone supposedly had water damage. I wonder if Ericsson would like to stump up some cash now? Probably not. I don't think they have much left.

On the other hand, the "Sue Apple" mentality appears to be getting out of hand. My wife didn't return my text message. That'll be $15 million, please.
yes i agree,they are triggered far too easily.