What's new

Apple employees called the gold iPhone 5s the ‘The Kardashian Phone’

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
proxy.jpg

During the design process and development of the gold iPhone 5s, it seems that some of Apple’s employees were jokingly referring to it as the 'Kardashian' phone. The humorous nickname was, in honor of socialite Kim Kardashian, was made public by the reputed New York Times tech reporter Nick Bilton on his Twitter account, saying this

”A source at Apple told me while they were making the gold iPhone it was referred to internally as "The Kardashian Phone."

TechCrunch later one confirmed the information with their own sources at Cupertino.

This was not a serious ‘code name’ but just an internal joke that was circulating among Apple employees. Apparently, it all started when Kim Kardashian had an iPhone 5 that was anodized gold back in December, 2012 and shared pictures of it on Twitter.

Source: TechCrunch

Good lord! thats enough to put people off buying it lol.

Not that there's a large enough consumer base that would consider it anyways :p

I wonder how were they calling the iPhone 5c :D

From the colors alone, probably eye candy? :p
I was out shopping yesterday and i went in an Apple store, that was the first time i have seen 5c, i must say they do feel nice in hand, not cheap as i thought they would but basically its iPhone 5 so nothing special IMO.

To be honest, I feel that the 3G/3GS' physical build is more grip friendly and has that feel of luxury yet stability. The 5C doesn't really cut it for me.

To be honest, I feel that the 3G/3GS' physical build is more grip friendly and has that feel of luxury yet stability. The 5C doesn't really cut it for me.
Nor me, i certainly wouldn't lay out £469 for that, the White looks nice but i don't like the childish looking colours or the cases they are selling for it.

Nor me, i certainly wouldn't lay out £469 for that, the White looks nice but i don't like the childish looking colours or the cases they are selling for it.

Might as well get a nice white case for the 5. I have no idea why the marketing division decided it was a great idea to drop the 5 for the 5C. Personally, if it came down to an apocalypse, and I had to choose between the 5C and the end of the world, I'll take the chances with the end of the world :p

Might as well get a nice white case for the 5. I have no idea why the marketing division decided it was a great idea to drop the 5 for the 5C. Personally, if it came down to an apocalypse, and I had to choose between the 5C and the end of the world, I'll take the chances with the end of the world :p
Lol, i thought the same though, i can't understand the thinking on 5c, just for fun i asked about stock on 5s and they had virtually nothing but she said....we have stacks of 5c...that say's it all i think.

The 5C is unnecessary on almost all counts. The MSRP is lowered by 50 USD compared to the 5's MSRP. So much more a "budget" iPhone. It throws in a nice color scheme sure, but you can accomplish the same with a case that actually offers protection for the device. Frankly, 5C sales were pitiful, and were a waste of retina displays that could've been used for the 5S, which is really the main reason there's a shortage of 5S production. It's a little late to start focusing on 5S production after having a huge leftover inventory of 5C's on all fronts :/