What's new

App for easier deaf communication

ardchoille

Reaction score
Being deaf, I'm always looking for apps that make life easier for me. I just found one such app; BuzzCards.

App Store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sorenson-buzzcards/id380582593?mt=8
App price: Free
App developer: Sorenson Communications

BuzzCards is an app to help deaf people communicate easily with people who don't know sign language. The app works like a deck of cards with each card holding the text you want to show to another person. You can create/edit cards ahead of time for any purpose (ex. "Where is the bus stop", "I want a large coffee please"). Users can make as many cards as necessary and they can be organized by category. To use a BuzzCard, simply choose the card you want to show and hold your iPhone or iPod up so the card can be read.

I've installed this app on my iPhone and found it easy to create new cards or edit existing ones.

This should be moved to our special needs forum as well.
Thank you. I looked for a Special Needs forum before posting this thread but I failed to also check the sub-forums. My apologies.

Would you consider the ability to pre-prepare cards a lot easier than
typing something on a keyboard at the time?

I went to see Roxette in concert in Feb 2012, and came up with an
idea to type something in the phone keyboard, and then when enter is pressed,
have the message display on a large scroller.
This is because myself and the lady I was with were constantly SMSing each
other during the concert, as there was no way we could hear each other.

Would you consider the ability to pre-prepare cards a lot easier than
typing something on a keyboard at the time?

I went to see Roxette in concert in Feb 2012, and came up with an
idea to type something in the phone keyboard, and then when enter is pressed,
have the message display on a large scroller.
This is because myself and the lady I was with were constantly SMSing each
other during the concert, as there was no way we could hear each other.

Buzzcards allows you to create as many "cards" as you want, store them and use them when needed. So I'm guessing this app already does that (pre-preparing cards to use). I've created the cards I need and haven't had to enter anything into the keyboard in a while.. or until I need a new card.

I meant to ask if it is any better to pre prepare the cards than typing at the time.
or, is it easier to find the card you want, than to type something in every time?

I meant to ask if it is any better to pre prepare the cards than typing at the time.
or, is it easier to find the card you want, than to type something in every time?

Oh, it's much better to create some pre-prepared cards and then you can use them any time. For example, I have one card pre-prepared for Starbucks. This way I can simply walk into a Starbucks coffee shop, show the pre-prepared card and not have to enter the text into an app every time I need that card. Pre-prepared cardsare much more convenient.