What's new

Anyway to downgrade verizon iphone 4.2.10 to 4.2.8?

lilbballer27

Reaction score
My iPhone is running ios 4.2.10 and I would like to restore it back to 4.2.8 is there anyway to do this? Everytime I try doing it in my iTunes I get an error code 3194. So i tried updating my iTunes like apples website suggest but that didnt work. Anyone else having this issue or know how to resolve this?

Thanks

What is the issue do you know? or is this just happening to everyones on these 2 ios's

lilbballer27 said:
What is the issue do you know? or is this just happening to everyones on these 2 ios's

It's happening to everyone on iOS 4.2.9/4.2.10/4.3.4/4.3.5 that's trying to downgrade to 4.2.8 (Verizon iPhone users) or 4.3.3 (AT&T iPhone users). They all encounter the Error 3194 and iPhones don't downgrade.

FOLLOW THESE STEPS! I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DOWNGRADED IPHONE 4 4.2.10 TO 4.2.8 WITH JAILBREAK!!

Step 1: If you are in Windows you need to go to folder “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”

If you are mac OS X users navigate to “/etc/” directory by going through “Go –> Go to Folder” from Finder.

If you are in Windows 7 and Vista please navigate to notepad>rightclick>and select Run as Administrator.

Step 3: Under the hosts open it with Notepad in windows and mac users should look for TextEdit.

Step 4: Open this “hosts” file in Notepad (for Windows) or TextEdit (for Mac OS X) and add this following line at the bottom of the file1. startup tiny umbrella

5. start the TSS server
(/etc/hosts file should now point to 127.0.0.1)

6. put phone in dfu mode

7. alt+restore and choose 4.2.8 firmware

this will restore and after about 75% the phone will reboot into the recovery loopÂ….
itunes symbol with the usb cable

8. start redsnow

9. select the 4.2.8 version of firmware (follow instructions and choose install cydia)

10. when phone procedure hits
(“Installing Activation Bundles”) hold down the power and home for 10 seconds

11. after reboot go into tiny umbrella and exit recovery.. you are now jailbroken!!!!

The issue is due to the new iTunes detecting that the host file us redirecting it to a non apple server.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

is your post complete? I am not able to do what you're saying. Can you tell me how to downgrade?

thanks

As far as I know you cannot until a work around is discovered for this new little trick wiu iTunes. I could be wrong, but I have tried several times so that I could post a solution but I guess I'm not smart enough.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Alright your gonna wanna modify your host file this is how itunes contacts the server so follow these steps first...

Step 1: If you are in Windows you need to go to folder “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”
(just click start and go into the computewr folder and copy and past the line above in the search tab)

If you are mac OS X users navigate to “/etc/” directory by going through “Go –> Go to Folder” from Finder.

If you are in Windows 7 and Vista please navigate to notepad>rightclick>and select Run as Administrator.
(Then navigate to the host file here as well)

Step 3: Under the hosts open it with Notepad in windows and mac users should look for TextEdit.

Step 4: Open this “hosts” file in Notepad (for Windows) or TextEdit (for Mac OS X) and add this following line at the bottom of the file1.
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

startup tiny umbrella

5. start the TSS server
(/etc/hosts file should now point to 127.0.0.1)

6. put phone in dfu mode

7. alt+restore and choose 4.2.8 firmware

The iphone will restore and stop at about 75% and go into recovery loop. (itunes and usb will appear)

8. start redsnow

9. select the 4.2.8 version of firmware (follow instructions and choose install cydia)

10. Itll jailbreak the phone and stop at-
(“Installing Activation Bundles”) hold down the power and home for 10 seconds

it will go back into recovery mode now youll need tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode

11. so after reboot go into tiny umbrella and exit recovery.. you are now on 4.2.8 jailbreak!

Hi,... Did everything exactly as you posted step by step but Im still in a recovery loop! The installation of 4.2.8 went all good as did the jailbreak but... I used tiny umbrella and hit "exit recovery". It exit's but kicks back in to recovery mode. Tried it 10 times. Then I tried "recboot". Again kicks it out of recovery but then kicks back in again over and over. The only difference I noticed is that when I use REDSNOW 9.8,...Jailbreak works good with all the little tiny letters but I didnt get that Pineapple dude like before that runs when installing bundles. I just went thru more small letters than before then it rebooted. thats when I went back into the recovery loop and to no avail...could not get out of recovery mode.
Grrrrrrrr..... something has got to give here!!! If you can do it why cant I?
I have the verizon I-Phone4 with 4.2.10. Any ideas what might have gone wrong???

i am having the exact same issue. i've tried to downgrade a million times with this method and it's just not working out.

tiny umbrella is showing that it has my 4.2.8 blob, so i try to downgrade then i start redsnow when the ipod is back in recovery mode, but i never see the pineapple. i instead see the apple and it goes back to recovery. i noticed that at one point, the text on the screen says "please wait..." a bunch of times, but whatever it says before moves by too quick for me to read it.

are there any other ways to downgrade?

I DID IT!!!! After looking all over the web and trying everything,... This method on this thread works. This is how I did it,...
Do everything again but don't use the 4.2.8 ipsw! I found out that apple does not sign it no more. Instead I used 4.2.6. That was the last major update. Follow the procedures but DON'T use the Redsnow to jailbreak it at the same time. Just downgrade to the stock 4.2.6 ipsw then upgrade to the 4.2.8! from there I used snowbreeze 2.7 to jailbreak and PRESTO!!! It worked!!! make sure you still use Tiny Umbrella and start the TSS Server before you begin the downgrade then when your done...hit the Exit Recovery. You should then be on 4.2.6! Download 4.2.8 stock and upgrade with that. Then jailbreak it with snowbreeze 2.7. I'm a happy camper now and you'll be too!!! Enjoy!!!

Jaybell4444 said:
I DID IT!!!! After looking all over the web and trying everything,... This method on this thread works. This is how I did it,...
Do everything again but don't use the 4.2.8 ipsw! I found out that apple does not sign it no more. Instead I used 4.2.6. That was the last major update. Follow the procedures but DON'T use the Redsnow to jailbreak it at the same time. Just downgrade to the stock 4.2.6 ipsw then upgrade to the 4.2.8! from there I used snowbreeze 2.7 to jailbreak and PRESTO!!! It worked!!! make sure you still use Tiny Umbrella and start the TSS Server before you begin the downgrade then when your done...hit the Exit Recovery. You should then be on 4.2.6! Download 4.2.8 stock and upgrade with that. Then jailbreak it with snowbreeze 2.7. I'm a happy camper now and you'll be too!!! Enjoy!!!

Are the shsh blobs for 4.2.6 required? Which TinyUmbrella did you use?

There is no way to download nowadays specially with the latest iTunes. Got to wait for iOS 5 now.