What's new

Amazon Said to be Planning to Launch Smartphone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
kindle_fire.jpg

CNET’s Crave blog reports today that Amazon is rumoured to be planning to launch its own smartphone as soon as next summer. According to the report, Amazon has been so encouraged by the success of the Kindle Fire tablet, that it has decided to release the low-cost smartphone between the second and third quarters of 2013, or in other words, sometime between April and September. Crave adds that sources in the new phone’s supply chain say that Amazon could ship around five million of the new phones in the first year of release alone. And if Crave is to be believed (it is a very credible source, after all), Amazon’s new phone could well retail for the ridiculously cheap price of something between $100-$200. As Crave notes, the success of the attractively priced Kindle Fire HD tablet proves that Amazon knows what it’s talking about when it comes to budget-priced devices, and it will be interested to see, assuming that this is definitely going to happen, whether or not Amazon decides to power the new smartphone with the modified version of Android that the Kindle Fire HD runs on.

[FONT=&amp]Source: [/FONT]Amazon smart phone tipped for summer launch, low low price | CNET UK

Something has me worried about this. Once their smartphone launches, they already have a tablet, someone at Amazon is going to make the mistake of thinking that killing off the Kindle App for other platforms (iOS, Android) will coax people into buying their new smartphone.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen, but, given the stupidity of some corporate decisions, it makes one wonder.

Uggh this is such a BAD idea. Just one more random phone out there.

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

Something has me worried about this. Once their smartphone launches, they already have a tablet, someone at Amazon is going to make the mistake of thinking that killing off the Kindle App for other platforms (iOS, Android) will coax people into buying their new smartphone.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen, but, given the stupidity of some corporate decisions, it makes one wonder.

It would be a terrible move on amazon's behalf. Especially since they're in business to sell things to consumers. They do it very well too. ;)

I'm not objective to competition in the technology field. Just drives other competitors to compete harder and us, the consumer, most definitely benefits. :)