What's new

All Sound Randomly Stops Working on iPhone 4 iOs 6.1

r3an1mat0r

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken (via evasi0n) iphone 4 on ios 6.1. Since a while ago, the sound would randomly not work. The pattern I've noticed is that after a restart, everything would be ok. But after some use (including some putting on vibrate and/or charging) the sound would completely stop working. While unsilenced, push sounds like iMessage would not alert me. There is no ringing when I receive a phone call either. I would check the phone and see several messages, none of which gave an alert.

The sound in games and whatnot also won't work when it's in this state. When trying to play something using Music, the little play icon in the upper bar would come one for a second and then disappear, with nothing playing. After a restart, all of this would work.

I've tried deleting that one iapd or whatever file, which didn't fix the problem. I've also tried cleaning the charge port to no avail. I'm wondering if this is a jailbreak issue or has something to do with a bug or some kind of weird setting.

I've searched online, but it didn't seem like anyone has a similar problem. I'm wondering if I should update the iOs and lose my jailbreak or try to fix it. Any advice would be good. Thanks in advance.

You may have downloaded a tweak that's incompatible with the iPhone. If you list the tweaks you installed before the problem started, we could see if one or more could be causing the problem.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

This happens to me, as well. I don't have any jailbreaks on my phone however. I have 6.1.3 OS on my iPhone 4S.

I have the same pattern of behavior as noted above- "The pattern I've noticed is that after a restart, everything would be ok. But after some use (including some putting on vibrate and/or charging) the sound would completely stop working. While unsilenced, push sounds like iMessage would not alert me. There is no ringing when I receive a phone call either. I would check the phone and see several messages, none of which gave an alert." For me, even the keyboard clicks is silent!

Only a restart works to restore the sounds.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

I had this happen periodicallly after playing to many games on my Iphone 4 as well as my 5. I think it started happening with IOS 6. I just reboot and hope it won't happen again. I am not jailbroken.