What's new

After updating Cydia content iphone is stuck on the loading circle

konrad252

Reaction score
Iphone 4, jailbroken, ios 5.1. Problem like in the title, after updating cydia apps and respringing, iphone just wont load up. Restarting doesnt help. It also doesnt react to the top right button for turning off when loading. I can turn it off only by holding the 2 buttons together. I've read in a couple threads that with the help of itunes i will be able to "reset" the iphone, but i dont wanna lose all things i have on it. So my question is how can i get it to work without losing all the data? Can i somehow get it all on my pc from an iphone in that state? I couldn't write the whole thing in the title so i apologize. If more info needed go ahead and ask. Thanks for your attention.

Assuming the device is tethered jailbroken, you have to put the device into DFU mode, then boot tethered using RedSn0w or iFaith.

Tehtered jailbroken? What does that mean? That it was jailborken without the use of cable and the pc? I jailbroke it about 3 years ago using redsnow application and the pc was involved in someway i remember, if it means anything. Also, what wil lhappened once i do what you said? Will it jsut straight up fix without losing anything? Will it let me get the data from my iphone to my pc before formating the iphone?

Tethered jailbreak means that your device needs to be booted using a computer every time you turn your device off or reboot your device. Since you jailbroke it 3 years ago, the untethered patch for 5.1 was not made at the time, so you must boot tethered it. Instructions on how to do so are available at the bottom of the first post here. You use the Find feature and look for "Booting Tethered" and follow the steps from there. Replace the 6.0 IPSW in the instructions with the 5.1 IPSW.

Ops, I might have overexagerated then, because i didn't have to screw around with the pc every time i restarded my iphone for it to work the way it should. Sorry. What changes in your instrucitons due to that fact?

Then it's most likely a launch daemon issue, or something is eating away at your processor and other resources. My recommendation would be to backup, restore, and re-jailbreak the device. If the device was avidly used during the iOS 6 signing, and you manually saved your 6.1.3 blobs using Cydia or any other iOS 6 blobs manually using TinyUmbrella or iFaith, you can choose to restore to iOS 6 rather than iOS 7 with your blobs and APTickets

I didn't save anything on my pc, none of parts of the system structure. So how do i proceed and what data from the iphone if any do i lose in the process?

Last edited:
Assuming iTunes recognizes your device, perform a backup of your device and restore fresh to 6.1.6. iTunes backup will most likely not carry over your issue as it's not looking to be a stock iOS issue but with the jailbreak. In the process of a backup, your tweaks will not be carried over, but most tweak settings/preferences will be carried over in the backup. Your apps are not carried over, but your app data are carried over. Your media are not carried over, but your pictures, and anything iCloud-backup-able such as your Settings preferences, photos, messages, notes, etc, are backed up.

Apps aren't an issue. You can just sync them back up from iTunes assuming you synced them over to iTunes, which is done every time during the backup process. Your tweaks can be backed up using free backup tweaks such as APTbackup or OpenBackup. Or, you can follow this to backup your Cydia tweaks.

How do i do the backup with a closed/loading iphone? Itunes should regonize the iphone when it is on even tho i havent synced stuff with it for ages. I was using media monkey to get music on the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming it's just a small daemon issue that can be resolved with something like Safe Mode, iTunes will still recognize your device because your springboard is technically still running, just that your screen doesn't show it. You can try putting the device into Safe Mode and see if you can get onto the springboard. Otherwise, if you plug it into iTunes, it should recognize the device in the normal state and not in recovery mode.

Holding the upper volume button while apple logo's loading doesn't launch the Safe Mode. How do i launch it then?

Last edited:
Actually i remember updating the iphone at some point to 6.0 or 6. something, anyway in the lower 6.X, if it changes anything. Also, I mostly care about the data on the phone, that is photos, notes, videos,... although music and apps are secondary. I'm not sure how launch my iphone in the safe mode, holding upper volume button doesn't quite do the trick, its loading the same way as if hadn't been pushing any buttons.

bump. I'm still being unable to boot the device in the safe mode. If i hold both power and upper volume buttons, the apple logo shows up for 5 s then the iphone turns off. Whatever else i do doesn't affect the iphone at all. And the only way i can turn it off from the loading apple logo and then the circle is to hold power button and the middle button, the power button doesn't do anything on its own. I'd appreciate any piece of advice. How do i backup the phone if i cant get it into safe mode? itunes doesn't recognize the iphone(not sure if it should when it's off).