What's new

5.0.1 upgrade....yes, no?

konikub

Reaction score
I have been holding out to upgrade to 5.0.1 until I got my password to my wireless router here in the house....CRAZY fast. The 3G here is not not good with Sprint....it's decent, but not good enough to want to download an upgrade or use iCloud.

Now that I have the password, and my iPhone 4S is the phone I had always HOPED it would be (blazing fast), lol....I was thinking about downloading and upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 - but am still a tad hesitant due to reading all of the people's issues with worse battery life, ect. Also, should I OTA the upgrade or use the iTunes store via wired to my laptop? I don't want to lose any info or apps I've already downloaded.

I heard if you OTA the update, most people lost all their info and had to start over from scratch. I don't mind using the cable to my laptop...just would like some input from the guru's and masters here in the forum. This is my first iPhone, and I want to do everything perfectly....I love this phone WAY too much to have anything bad happen to it, lol.

As with any update... the majority of what you're going to hear are the "horror stories." I myself, updated to 5.0.1 on my 4 and have no problems as of yet. Honestly, since you're on a 4S and there's no Jailbreak available yet... I'd stay w/ 5.0 since that's the only hope of an untethered JB anytime soon. That is, of course, if you intend on doing a Jailbreak.

Wired or OTA... this is also a decision of preference. Updating OTA is merely an addition to the "wireless" aspect of our evolving society. OTA has no benefit over sitting down at your computer and plugging it in w/ the data cable... other than being "wireless."

So when/if I update via OTA...after the update to 5.0.1 is done, all my apps I bought or got for free will still be on the phone...as will all my texts/email/ect?

Is there any reasons I saw some people in the forums say the OTA wiped all their info....?

konikub said:
So when/if I update via OTA...after the update to 5.0.1 is done, all my apps I bought or got for free will still be on the phone...as will all my texts/email/ect?

Is there any reasons I saw some people in the forums say the OTA wiped all their info....?

If you do an iCloud back up, or a iTunes backup, then your data will reappear when you restore from backup.

I like the iCloud backup. I tried it out a couple of weeks ago and everything worked flawlessly. All of my data was restored without a hiccup. :D