What's new

4S & software update iOS 7.0.4 - NO IDEA where to ask this

Techie_Mom

Reaction score
I purchased my 4S in Aug or Sept, I have yet to upgrade to any of the iOS 7 updates as I didn't like what I was seeing on a friends 4S when he updated. I am currently still running iOS 6.1.3, if that helps.

Now, in order to update I have to make room for more memory and I can't figure out what to do about it. I've backup this morning to both computer and iCloud.

So, do I simply do a RESET of ALL Content and Settings or what? Which reset will erase music but keep my contacts? I have no problem readding the apps I use often.

And my last question, do I really need to upgrade, and what is it going to change about my phone and the SCREEN appearance??

Thanks,

Kerri

Last edited:
Instead of doing it OTA through Settings, you can also upgrade through iTunes. Backing up is always a good precaution to take before an upgrade even though your data is retained, just in case something does go weary. Click on the Upgrade button in your iPhone's profile in iTunes and iOS 7.0.4 will be downloaded and installed, retaining your data. Or, if you prefer a fresh copy of iOS, you can back up your device and restore to 7.0.4 (recommended) instead of upgrading to 7.0.4, then restore your backup.

The UI has been tweaked, and the overall theme is more of a flat theme. Aside from that, the only other reason to get iOS 7 is if an application you're currently using is iOS 7 only, and you can't live without the new update that's iOS 7+ exclusive. The UI colors and all are optional really. If you like a more fruity/vibrant addition to your screen, iOS 7 provides that. iCloud has also been updated with the new authorization measures with FindMyiPhone. If your device is lost or stolen, the person that has the device will not be able to use the device, and if they choose to restore the device to sell, the device will be inoperable unless your exact AppleID credentials are inputted, so that's a new security measure that's iOS 7+ exclusive. Keychain is also nice, where all your passwords and credentials are saved securely and can be used between your Mac, iPod, iPad, and iPhone

willerz2, thank you for the information. It is truly appreciated!

What I ended up doing was backing up, deleting my apps and music, and then sync'ing. Then through my itunes on my laptop, I updated the iOS.

Not sure I'm going to like the new flat theme, I've seen it on my friends 4S and wasn't impressed what so ever.

Thank you again.

Kerri

Instead of doing it OTA through Settings, you can also upgrade through iTunes. Backing up is always a good precaution to take before an upgrade even though your data is retained, just in case something does go weary. Click on the Upgrade button in your iPhone's profile in iTunes and iOS 7.0.4 will be downloaded and installed, retaining your data. Or, if you prefer a fresh copy of iOS, you can back up your device and restore to 7.0.4 (recommended) instead of upgrading to 7.0.4, then restore your backup.

The UI has been tweaked, and the overall theme is more of a flat theme. Aside from that, the only other reason to get iOS 7 is if an application you're currently using is iOS 7 only, and you can't live without the new update that's iOS 7+ exclusive. The UI colors and all are optional really. If you like a more fruity/vibrant addition to your screen, iOS 7 provides that. iCloud has also been updated with the new authorization measures with FindMyiPhone. If your device is lost or stolen, the person that has the device will not be able to use the device, and if they choose to restore the device to sell, the device will be inoperable unless your exact AppleID credentials are inputted, so that's a new security measure that's iOS 7+ exclusive. Keychain is also nice, where all your passwords and credentials are saved securely and can be used between your Mac, iPod, iPad, and iPhone