What's new

4.3.5 and Battery Life

jen724

Reaction score
Since updating to 4.3.5 I've noticed a significant decrease in battery life, and increase in recharging time. Yes, everything is off - wifi, apps, location services, etc.

Anyone else noticed this?

I have the 4.3.5 version on my 3GS and yes I have noticed. My battery drains much faster than it did and like you, I have everything turned off that I am not currently using. I hope Apple has noticed this and will issue a fix soon.

bc

Thanks for the feedback. Guess there really isn't much I can do about it, but it would at least be nice to know what benefit the update provided to offset the decreased battery life.

1. Turn Off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc when not using
2. Turn Off Location Services
3. Close all apps
4. Every re-charge, wait for full re-charge.. (charging icon turns from a lightning icon to plug icon), never use in middle
5. Don't charge often, let the battery go down to < 20%
6. Don't charge for a long period, unplug after full charge (#4 above)

Hope that helps.

That is the usual routine I follow, but all things being equal (same set of operating conditions with earlier update as with new), that still wouldn't explain why battery life has decreased with 4.3.5. Appreciate the feedback though.

I do what Warrior101 says in that I turn off all that is not being used. This is what I did before the current OS. This is what I do after the change. The speed of the battery drain only came with the last OS change. ie to the 4.3.5. Before that all was good or so I remember.

bc

Just some tips:

- Turn push off in Settings > Mail > Fetch New Data (Turn it to off)

- For each mail box, set it to "Manual" rather than Fetch.

- Do a complete discharge of the phone - i.e. wait until battery drains fully and turns off, and then do a complete uninterrupted charge from the AC charger rather than USB. This is known to make the battery life last longer too and is recommended you do this once every couple of months at least.

Last edited:
I too noticed the decrease in battery life after updating to 4.3.5 so hope Apple comes with an update to at least return battery life to previous levels of discharge.