What's new

3GS - bricked??

BPH

Reaction score
Hello.

How about this one - I JB'd and iPad basebanded a 3GS (serial R022909V3NP) trying to unlock it.

I am pretty sure I have bricked it. It wouldn't turn on. It was stuck at either the apple logo or the "plug into iTunes" screen.

I made a custom 6.1.3 IPSW using sn0wbreeze (expert mode activated it) and used that to restore with iTunes. It still wouldn't boot up so I used iBooty to get it started.

So, as it stands at the minute - It will start up, but crashes soon after. iBooty will get it started, but again, it crashes soon after starting. Also the baseband (modem), bluetooth and wifi are all blank. Network in the top left corner sticks on "searching".

All options I have tried using google have not worked.

I am almost certain that I have bricked it, but I am grasping onto a glimmer of hope because I can get it started up (in a fashion!!)

What do you think?

Would this thread be any help to me? - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-3gs-55/please-help-iphone-3gs-jailbreaking-unlock-57758/

we have deleted your duplicate post,please post only once per issue, thank you.

What did you do prior to this occurring. If a device is bricked, you won't be able to fix it through any software means. Only hardware changes will allow your device to be running again. Try putting it into DFU mode and restoring it via RedSn0w in hopes that it's just a mishap or a visual bug at best. Otherwise, you'll be needing a new phone.

Hello,

Apologies for the duplication of the post.

I had followed a tutorial on how to jail break the 3GS and install an iPad baseband in order to unlock it.

It starts up, but crashes. Also, the important parts of the phone stated in the original post are no longer present.

Is this an explanation of a "bricked" phone?

Which hardware changes might resolve this issue?

I will try what you have suggested.

Thank you for your comments, any more would be most welcome.

The missing credentials is often the result of a bricked device. There's one part that you can replace in order to fix it, but it costs about the same as a new device (probably about $50 less), so you might as well get a new phone, plus, that component is a black market component, so it's illegal to buy and sell them. And we do not endorse illegal activities of any kind here on iPhone, iPad and Apple Forums.

Thank you for your help and comments!