What's new

29W USB‑C Power Adapter

leemoknows

Reaction score
I just bought the Apple 29W power adapter so I can use the fast charging feature the iPhone 8’s have. Apparently it doesn’t include a lightning able because it is USB-C. Anybody tried this charger on their iPhone 8 yet? Also, what USB-C do Lightning cable did you go with? I’m looking for a 6’ cable and hope to go with one that’s nylon, but it’s not necessary.

IMG_0170.JPG

I just bought the Apple 29W power adapter so I can use the fast charging feature the iPhone 8’s have. Apparently it doesn’t include a lightning able because it is USB-C. Anybody tried this charger on their iPhone 8 yet? Also, what USB-C do Lightning cable did you go with? I’m looking for a 6’ cable and hope to go with one that’s nylon, but it’s not necessary.

View attachment 36825
I bought this charger for my iPad Pro and got the USB-C to lightning cable that Apple sells. They offer two lengths, 1 and 2m.

The charger fast charges my iPhone 8 plus perfectly along with my first generation iPad Pro 12.9. I would go with the Apple cable as well.

My local Apple store also had a 3M cable, which I purchased.

Beware, though as both were about $84 USD!

Last edited:
I bought this charger for my iPad Pro and got the USB-C to lightning cable that Apple sells. They offer two lengths, 1 and 2m.

The charger fast charges my iPhone 8 plus perfectly along with my first generation iPad. I would go with the Apple cable as well.

Thanks! I’ll go ahead and buy a cable from Apple as well. I’m looking forward to faster charges.

The charger fast charges my iPhone 8 plus perfectly along with my first generation iPad. I would go with the Apple cable as well.

Only the large size iPad Pro models and the second generation small size iPad Pro have USB-C support and can be fast charged with the 29w USB-C charger. This charger would not offer fast charging with the iPad 1.

Only the large size iPad Pro models and the second generation small size iPad Pro have USB-C support and can be fast charged with the 29w USB-C charger. This charger would not offer fast charging with the iPad 1.

Sorry - I edited my original post! Meant to say first generation iPad pro 12.9!

How fast is fast charging?
I use my 12W iPad charger and cable with my iPhone and it is charging from 0 to 50% in 30 minutes and to 100% in 2 hours.
Much cheaper than $84 USD.
That is faster than using the standard iPhone charger but the 29W USB-C charger will not work with the iPhone for faster charging.

That is faster than using the standard iPhone charger but the 29W USB-C charger will not work with the iPhone for faster charging.

Not with older iPhones, correct? They say on Apples description “take advantage of the iPhone 8/8 pluses fast charging”.

Not with older iPhones, correct? They say on Apples description “take advantage of the iPhone 8/8 pluses fast charging”.
Correct. For the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X, you can use the 29W USB-c charger for faster charging. This is possible because the lightning port on these iPhones is USB-C compatible. This also means much faster data transfer speeds between the iPhone and a MacBook or MacBook Pro with USB-C ports.

Extremely fast. I will try to time some real word examples and post here.

Literally makes charging my 8 Plus and iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen a non issue

so this is not the same as the "Fast Charging" that is used by Samsung?

Extremely fast is not really an answer, I would like to know the exact times?
Because as I told before I use my 12W iPad charger and cable with my iPhone and it is charging from 0 to 50% in 30 minutes and to 100% in 2 hours.
Much cheaper than $84 USD. ;)
Yes apologize for dropping the ball. I will post this weekend.

You would be looking at charging times of roughly half of what you mentioned you were getting.

So, before I got sidetracked with my 6 month old, lol - I timed what I call a “real world” example this morning.

Conditions:

1) Bluetooth on,
2) iPhone 8 plus on, locked but with notifications popping up on lock screen as they came in (Sunday, so not that many, but still rolling in)
3) Connected to my Apple Watch series 2
3) 1% left on the battery when I plugged in.

Unfortunately didn’t finish so I’ll post another test soon but here are partial results:

5 minutes = 12%
18 minutes = 36%
45 minutes = 75%

I think this gives an insight into what kind of speeds we are talking about.