What's new

2018 iPhone Line-Up Set to Have Even More Powerful Charging Capabilities

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
2018 iPhones to have more powerful charging.JPG
AppleInsider reports today that according to a new research note from Jun Zhang of Rosenbatt Securities, Apple is set to upgrade the charging circuitry in the 2018 iPhone line-up from 5V 2A to 9V 2A and 5V 3A. Zhang says that Apple wants to do this in order to “support more applications, provide a quicker recharge, and better compete with Android OEMs.”

Zhang says that Apple will achieve this aim by giving Power Integrations the exclusive contract to supply fast-charging chipsets for the new phones. He adds that once Power Integrations fixes an unnamed quality issue, it will then take over from ON Semiconductor and NXP Semiconductor as “the main provider for the charging solution for all new iPhones and iPads.”

Zhang also stated that Texas Instruments will replace Broadcom as Apple’s supplier of wireless charging technology for the new LCD iPhone in a bid to keep costs down.

One final interesting news nugget from Zhang about the 2018 iPhone line-up is that Hon Hai Precision is expected to begin production a month earlier than expected.

Source: Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2018 conference call

Sure hope the lithium battery manufacturers don’t screw up. Hate for Fires while charging to be the headline...

I wonder what 9V/2A is for???

I understand that it is 18W and that 5V/3A is 15W it's that I have this understanding that it is the relative motion of charges that causes a magnetic field, maybe the higher potential causes the charges to travel faster???