What's new

Yup. I Broke It

Scottysize

Reaction score
We're sitting on the couch a few nights ago and my phone slips between the arm rest and the console. Happens all the time. No biggie. It's one of those reclining couches, so there's metal arms and mechanisms under it to help it recline, etc. I crawl under there to get it and notice it won't move. Then I realize, it won't move at all. It's pinched between two of the mechanisms. I'm freaking out. Wifey's like, "Move. I'll get it Mr. Big Hands", but as I'm feeling under there, I can feel the lines from the cracks in the display. I'm distraught. The dang thing is only a few days old and you can't even buy another one. Also, I went with SquareTrade this time, instead of AppleCare, so I have no idea if it's even going to be covered or if they'll cover the whole thing, or what's going on.

Because I'm freaking out, my father-in-law comes over to help. They have to take the couch apart and turn it upside down so that they can free the phone from it's death trap. Sure enough, after they free it, it's destroyed. I mean, shattered totally. The screen still works, but you can't use it because the glass is falling out in pieces. I turn off Find My iPhone and pull the sim. Put it in another phone and mope about for a day or two. Yesterday I finally man up and call SquareTrade. I'm like, "Look, I know I just bought this policy Friday, but I've already broken the phone." They say, no problem. Take it to Apple and bring us the receipt for a new screen.

Of course, when I get to apple the stupid display won't even come on. It just flickers green every now and then. I'm like, great. It's going to cost more than the screen to fix it. Sure enough, dude says it'll probably be $549, but he needed to go in the back for a minute. SquareTrade only approved $149 + my $99 deductible. I was already going to have to go back to them and let them know it's was $300 and see if they'd cover the other $50. Now I've got o go ask for another $250. I'm really bummed. The guy's gone for a while. I'm sitting there with this shattered iPhone X to remind me how stupid I am just sitting there with everyone around me laughing. At least that's how I felt. It's an Apple Store, so there's a ton of people in it. Any way, Mr. Genius comes back and begins his spiel about how it's probably going to take more than glass and he's sorry it happened blah blah blah, when suddenly he takes a left turn...

"You know, sometimes when a product first launches the engineering team likes to examine broken devices; even when it's done accidentally. They'd like to replace your phone for free today. Is that something you might be interested in?"

Needless to say, it was something I was interested in:

I LOVE APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're sitting on the couch a few nights ago and my phone slips between the arm rest and the console. Happens all the time. No biggie. It's one of those reclining couches, so there's metal arms and mechanisms under it to help it recline, etc. I crawl under there to get it and notice it won't move. Then I realize, it won't move at all. It's pinched between two of the mechanisms. I'm freaking out. Wifey's like, "Move. I'll get it Mr. Big Hands", but as I'm feeling under there, I can feel the lines from the cracks in the display. I'm distraught. The dang thing is only a few days old and you can't even buy another one. Also, I went with SquareTrade this time, instead of AppleCare, so I have no idea if it's even going to be covered or if they'll cover the whole thing, or what's going on.

Because I'm freaking out, my father-in-law comes over to help. They have to take the couch apart and turn it upside down so that they can free the phone from it's death trap. Sure enough, after they free it, it's destroyed. I mean, shattered totally. The screen still works, but you can't use it because the glass is falling out in pieces. I turn off Find My iPhone and pull the sim. Put it in another phone and mope about for a day or two. Yesterday I finally man up and call SquareTrade. I'm like, "Look, I know I just bought this policy Friday, but I've already broken the phone." They say, no problem. Take it to Apple and bring us the receipt for a new screen.

Of course, when I get to apple the stupid display won't even come on. It just flickers green every now and then. I'm like, great. It's going to cost more than the screen to fix it. Sure enough, dude says it'll probably be $549, but he needed to go in the back for a minute. SquareTrade only approved $149 + my $99 deductible. I was already going to have to go back to them and let them know it's was $300 and see if they'd cover the other $50. Now I've got o go ask for another $250. I'm really bummed. The guy's gone for a while. I'm sitting there with this shattered iPhone X to remind me how stupid I am just sitting there with everyone around me laughing. At least that's how I felt. It's an Apple Store, so there's a ton of people in it. Any way, Mr. Genius comes back and begins his spiel about how it's probably going to take more than glass and he's sorry it happened blah blah blah, when suddenly he takes a left turn...

"You know, sometimes when a product first launches the engineering team likes to examine broken devices; even when it's done accidentally. They'd like to replace your phone for free today. Is that something you might be interested in?"

Needless to say, it was something I was interested in:

I LOVE APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
That’s great! Whatever you do, don’t drop it in the couch again. If you do, I’ll probably hear your scream from my place in Canada.

They’d like to replace your phone for free today. Is that something you might be interested in ?
What a stupid question.
You were dead lucky, don’t try it again though. The engineering team have one to examine now. [emoji3]

Ugh man, my stomach turned when I saw the photo of the iPhone X. Glad to see you had a happy ending!

Man awesome story! Big props to Apple for the replacement as well!! Makes you at least feel somewhat redeemed!! Enjoy the new phone and put a case on it dang it

Man awesome story! Big props to Apple for the replacement as well!! Makes you at least feel somewhat redeemed!! Enjoy the new phone and put a case on it dang it
Case was on it. Didn't matter due to where the phone actually ended up. It was smashed in between two metal bars. The case actually help keep the back from cracking, but nothing was going to stop the screen from cracking.

I think you have the worst luck in early ownership [emoji846]... Didn't something similar happen with last year's Apple Watch? I was feeling very ill for you but extremely happy to see the joyous outcome... Maybe consider bubble wrap and I hope you got rid of that couch lol...

Omg, my heart sank reading this. But so happy you got a new one for free. I’m trying to be ever so careful with mine since I’m selling my old phone.

Last edited:
Nice now how about one of those glass screen protectors.

I think you have the worst luck in early ownership [emoji846]... Didn't something similar happen with last year's Apple Watch? I was feeling very ill for you but extremely happy to see the joyous outcome... Maybe consider bubble wrap and I hope you got rid of that couch lol...
Ya. Stupid watch fell off the counter from 3’ in day 2. However, the replacement is still perfect. ;)