What's new

Yamaha RX-A730

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yamaha is no stranger to the music industry. Though many may see the company as a motorcycle manufacturer first and foremost, take a look at that company logo sometime. It is actually 3 tuning forks and pays homage to the company's history as a manufacturer of pianos.

A couple years ago I bought a Yamaha RX-A730, the poor relation of Yamaha's Aventage range. (All prices in Canadian).

For Apple aficionados the important thing is there. It supports AirPlay so it will play output from your Mac, iPad, iPhone or AppleTV without too much fooling around.

Last year's model (RX-A740) introduced wifi and HDMI 2.0. The newest version (RX-A750) has just been released and I haven't begun to dig into the differences and improvements.

There are a huge number of inputs and outputs on the back of the 730. That's if you are measuring it by the standards of a normal human being. Home theatre buffs are far from normal, however, and the 730 probably has "just enough" to get by. It will take 9 speakers, 2 subwoofers, 6 HDMI inputs, a couple of audio only outputs and many more. If you are new to the home theatre field, you are going to be well satisfied. If you have been there for a while, perhaps not so much.

Plug in all of your speakers and arrange them around the room wherever you think a speaker might work. Then plug in the supplied microphone and hit the button. The receiver will set itself up and let you know if there are any problems with a particular speaker. Handy.

The 730 puts out around 90 watts per channel over 2 channels. That's not a huge number. Adding channels appears to decrease that number. I've heard of numbers like 35 watts per channel with 7 channels driven. Don't let that worry you. This thing pounds it out. You can get some serious decibels out of this equipment.

In Canadian, this equipment will set you back around $750. After 2 years, I'm going to give it the thumbs up. Sure, I'd like more power occasionally and a few more options around the back, but this is great product. It does not disappoint.

Forgot to mention the main point for iOS users. Yamaha supply a free app that can be used to control every setting of the Aventage receivers.

There are a vast number of controls and settings and the included remote control is not the best, so the app is very useful.

It works on iPad and iPhone.

image.jpg