What's new

Working iPhone 6s - Black Unusable Screen - Data Salvage Possible?

Rick5150

Reaction score
I have the iPhone 6s with Verizon Wireless service.

Two weeks ago, my screen started going wonky - the touch screen was flickering very fast and looked like it was scrolling downward so fast it was incomprehensible. It was not of course, but that is the illusion. Then it would stop and the phone would be fine. I thought, "that was weird" and kept using the phone.

Two days ago it happened again. It had intermittent periods where it would seem to be working, then it would go crazy again. Yesterday it was black. I have been keeping it charged and have insurance, so I ordered a new phone which will be in today if all goes well. Other than the touch screen not working and the black screen, the phone is still working. I can hear when I get text messages or phone calls. I can ask Siri questions and get responses.

I was wondering if there was a program available that can salvage the data - especially the contacts. Backup to iCloud was NOT on, so that is not an option. When I plug the phone into the computer, it recognizes that a phone is plugged in, and shows 32GB of 59.6GB free, but I cannot access the images as usual.

In the past, there was a "trust this computer" prompt that always popped up, and until I clicked yes on that, nothing would show. I expect this is happening again, but I cannot see it with the black screen and the touch screen is not working so... this is probably a big roadblock. The phone will go into DFU mode if that is any help.

Has anyone had any luck using a program that would perform a backup under similar conditions. Not too concerned about the photos, but the contacts took me years to gather. I expect if there was something out there Verizon would have it there to save/extract customer data, but I have heard about programs like Jihosoft and dr.phone and similar. Do these work? Will they bypass the "trust this computer" message?

Thanks!

You won’t be able to back up your iPhone unless the screen is working. You may have to repair the screen in order to back up the iPhone and set up the new iPhone from that backup.