What's new

Windows doesn't recognize iPhone 4

simonbonte

Reaction score
Dear members,

a few days ago, i bought a second-hand iPhone4 iOS 5.0.1.
It's completely original, no simlock or whatsoever.

When I connect the device to my computer (running on Windows7), Windows displays a notification: Unknown Device. Windows doesn't recognize my iPhone.

The cable or usb-ports aren't the problem (I tried 4 different cables and different laptops).
I tried to completely wipe all of my Apple-software from my computer and reinstall it, no success.
Putting the iPhone in recovery-mode or DFU-mode is pointless, since iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone.
Also tried restoring the device to it's original settings, still the same result.
I connected the iPhone to a computer which never had any Apple-software installed on it, but it also didn't recognize my phone.

Charging through the socket works fine.
My old iPhone 3G hasn't got any of this problems.
The former owner never had any of these problems.

Maybe my problem has something to do with the fact the iPhone was connected with another laptop or something like that? I really don't know.

Any help, please?

Thank you! (sorry for my cheesy English)

Last edited:
Or maybe a fake iPhone? Open up the sim card slot, remove the sim card from the slot and there you will see a blue tint color, scratch it a bit to see if the tint will go away or not, don't hard scratch, just a gentle scratch. I guess that your device is off now and that you are not capable of powering it up? otherwise i would also suggest you to double check the sim slot serial number with the serial number found in setting> about> serial/ they have to match.

Thanks for the answer!

I already typed in the serial number (the one found in settings) into the Apple-support, which verified that the iPhone was bought somewhere in my country.
Do you think it is still necessary to check the sim card slot number? I don't want to scratch it in vain ofcourse.

I'm able to charge my device v
ia the charger , but not via the computer.

I'd really doubt it is fake, because the previous owner said that I could bring it back to her (but now she's getting a bit annoyed).

Also, the owner sais that se never had any of this problems; the iPhone always connected to her Windows7-pc's flawlessly. If that is the case, then why on earth isn't this working on my laptops?

A detail: She always used the phone in her country (The Netherlands), but since her contract was finished, she sold the phone to me (I use it in Belgium). Calling, texting and using the internet isn't a problem though.

Can anyone help me please?

If so, then the issue might either be with the dock or with the cable you are using with the computer, even though you are able to recharge the iPhone with that cable, are you using the original white USB cable appropriate for the iPhone? Using an original iPhone 3G cable for an iPhone 4 can cause those kind of issues even though the cable is original.

Well, i used 4 different cables (I don't remember which I used first):

2 iPod-cables
1 iPhone 3G-cable
I got the fourth cable from the previous owner but it was kind of 'worn-out' (held together with stickers), and I don't know if she used that perticular cable for this iPhone4.

If this really is the problem, what could be the solution to it?

Thank you so much for helping me out!

Get an original iPhone 4 USB cable. Go to Ape store to buy it from them if you have an Ape store near by. I don't trust buying these kind of things from Internet since it's hard to say if it's original or not. But you can always try to if you don't have other options.

I really hope this works.

I'll first test it with the iphone4-cable of a friend.

I'll post the result here.

Thanks alot!

Last edited:
SOLVED

Connecting the iPhone 4 with an orignial iPhone 4-cable didn't work.

But cleaning the dock connector of the iPhone with some ether and a toothpick did the trick.
How simple could it be.

EDIT: Not solved. Worked for like an hour, but then the problem came back. Guess i'll just replace the dock connector.

Last edited:
Here is my answer to the problem, I just made copy paste from another thread where I posted it, it just might help you. he clue is, I think, a proper installation of Apple Mobile Devices.

Well, my misery came to an end. Finally I did it.
I uninstalled all of Apple software I had on my lap top and than (it took me 2 hours aaaaaaaaaaaa) manually deleted all entries in Windows registry in connection with any Apple software I had before, than downloaded and installed fresh Itunes 10.5.3 and miracle happened.
Itunes detected my I4 in a second.
After that I checked Services in Windows and yes Apple Mobile Devices was there for the first time. So problem solved.
Thanks again to all of you for suggestions and advices.

Thanks for the reply, but that won't fix the problem for me, since my brother's iPhone flawlessly connects to the same computer.

Guess I'll just try to replace the dock connector.