What's new

Will we be able to jailbreak the new iPhone 4?

Matth3w

Reaction score
I'm assuming it will come with the latest version of iOS...has the latest version (not sure what the number is) been hacked yet?

I ready this story about jailbreaking on 4.2 (edit: I guess 4.2 is the latest, 4.3 beta has been released to developers):

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-4.2-unlock-and-jailbreak-everything-you-need-to-know/

According to this you should save your 4.1 blobs, but what if the phone comes with 4.2, how should you go about that?

Final EDIT: I think I've answered my own question, slightly. The jailbreak requires you to be connected to a computer currently to reboot the phone, so if you completely run out of battery or need to reboot your phone for some reason and aren't near a computer, you'll be hosed. Darn. Hopefully someone will come out with an untethered jailbreak.

Last edited:
Youre right. What youre talking about is a tethered jailbreak. Meaning, YES, you do have to hook up to your computer if you need to reboot or your iphone goes dead.

They posted that the unthethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 is coming out shortly though. Not sure how long that means,

Yeah but are we to guess that the new Verizon iPhone will ship with 4.3? If so...then that won't help right? Or can you find some way to downgrade to 4.2.1?

From the videos I have seen, the verizon iPhone will ship with (at least has been filmed with) 4.2.5. It may ship with 4.3 due to the wireless hotspot feature.

So it won't even be able to be jailbroken initially?

It's a possibility. From what I understand the devs are working on it now. There isn't even a windows version of an untethered (not needing to have your phone connected to a pc when rebooting) yet. From what I've been reading it's either due out any day now or possibly being skipped till the next version 4.3.

So it won't even be able to be jailbroken initially?
Figuring that no one has the device yet, I highly doubt it. I'm sure the jailbreaking community will figure out a way in a few days though.

The verzion phone had 4.2.5 on it when it was unveiled. If 4.3 is out of beta by the time they are due to be shipped they will come with 4.3.

There is already an untethered jailbreak for 4.3 so I'm told...