What's new

Will the iPhone work in Europe??

smlobx

Reaction score
I'm going to Italy next week and was wondering if it will work?
I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and I am hearing conflicting answers.

Thanks.

I'm going to Italy next week and was wondering if it will work?
I have a Verizon iPhone 4 and I am hearing conflicting answers.

Thanks.

Verizon will unlock your phone for international use but the phone should work in italy on the verizon network or just unlock it if Italy offers a network that uses the CDMA Network so you don't pay as much for calls..etc

As to my knowledge, most of Europe is using GSM. So a CDMA handset wouldn't work. At least the GSM iOS6 version installed properly on my iPad2 and I'm in Germany.

As to my knowledge, most of Europe is using GSM. So a CDMA handset wouldn't work. At least the GSM iOS6 version installed properly on my iPad2 and I'm in Germany.

as far as I know that is true as well that most use GSM.. I just did some asking around and there is no CDMA in italy BUT I am told the verizon iphone 4S is dual GSM and CDMA but apparently verizon rents out phones that would work in italy for iphone 4 users if you go to them and ask

I guess I'll just have to go ask someone at Verizon and see...Maybe a good time to upgrade to the 4S..

When does the iPhone 5 come out??

I guess I'll just have to go ask someone at Verizon and see...Maybe a good time to upgrade to the 4S..

When does the iPhone 5 come out??

no one can answer that, but I would GUESS that apple will release another iphone with ios 6 in october, again anything about release dates is pure speculation and apple might not even release one with ios 6. But personally I would not get the 4S

Let us know what verizon says :)

as far as I know (not really sure) but most networks overseas are on GSM which require a sim card, Like Unleashed stared above version does offer world phones which uses a sim card to be able to use overseas.

I am not sure whether Verizon iPhone 4 would work in Italy.If the verizon is available in italy then it would definitely work in Italy.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Here's what I found out and did....

I went to the Verizon store early this am when they opened and found a guy who knew what the scoop is.

The iPhone 4 will not work in Europe because they are on the GSM format as has been mentioned.
The 4S will work because it has both the GSM and our format.

I ended up getting the 4S as I was elegible for the upgrade and will be giving the 4 to one of my employees who has been wanting an upgraded phone.

I got a global data plan good for the time I will be overseas which costs $25/ 100mB of data; $0.50 to send a text and $0.05 to receive one and $0.99 / minute to call back home which I don't forsee doing.

The salesguy showed me how to turn off my phone data so that i won't be getting outrageous bills when I come back. Tha way i can check emails and vm's once a day or stop by an internet cafe and get free wifi..

Thanks again.

Great to hear that you found a working solution. Have fun.

Hi there, i have a verizon i4 and about two months ago i was planing a trip so i called verizon and they sure enough said the i4 wouldn't work in Europe but a i4s would but the prices they told me were around two dollars a min for Italy, Greece, Albania, Germany and England. so if be careful and have a nice trip

Thanks for the replys everyone. Here's what I found out and did....

I went to the Verizon store early this am when they opened and found a guy who knew what the scoop is.

The iPhone 4 will not work in Europe because they are on the GSM format as has been mentioned.
The 4S will work because it has both the GSM and our format.

I ended up getting the 4S as I was elegible for the upgrade and will be giving the 4 to one of my employees who has been wanting an upgraded phone.

I got a global data plan good for the time I will be overseas which costs $25/ 100mB of data; $0.50 to send a text and $0.05 to receive one and $0.99 / minute to call back home which I don't forsee doing.

The salesguy showed me how to turn off my phone data so that i won't be getting outrageous bills when I come back. Tha way i can check emails and vm's once a day or stop by an internet cafe and get free wifi..

Thanks again.

You might have wanted to consider doing WiFi only / paying maybe $8 for the Boingo subscription and using Skype. If you didn't need instant connectivity it might have been cheaper.

The other way round seems much easier (coming to the US from Europe) ;-)
I visited friends last year and brought my iPod touch. With wifi available in most stores like DD, McD and all the others, it was really easy to use google talk. Phone calls in the US are free.

Well,Yes, if you have an international plan. EDGE likely won't work, but there's always wifi.