What's new

Wifi network analyser?

Alan sh

Reaction score
is there an app which can show me a list of wifi networks with their signal strengths?

Cheers

Alan

Thanks. I've tried some and none do what I'm after.

Cheers

Alan

Can you give me a clue? Which app? I am really looking for some details on signal strengths of each network that my iPad can see.

Thanks

Alan

Ah. I looked at 'scany' and the description told me that Apple don't allow you to view signal strength. So maybe I am on a wild goose chase.

Alan

An "Apple-head" friend/colleague of mine suggested Apple doesn't allow the necessary level of access to permit something like the WiFi Analyzer app that's available for Android. Too bad. That's a really neat app and I'll miss it dearly :(

As ITGeek had indicated, the only good app to do this is only available on Android. But, I did recently find an app (Wi-Fi Sweetspots) to test the signal strength of a single Wi-Fi router within a home. This app is great if you're looking to confirm if you need to put in a Wi-Fi Mesh network and possibly where to place the Mesh devices.

Thanks. Interesting app, the Wifi Sweetspots by Assia-inc.

One aspect I have never understood with the App Store. I looked up the app and, because I am using an iPad, the App Store defaulted to iPad Only and the app was not listed. Changing the menu to iPhone Only listed the app, but reading the app info says that it is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch...

Obviously the App Store needs a Both menu or something similar. (I think I read that the store app is being revamped, so perhaps there will be an imminent improvement. I have nearly missed several interesting apps over the years and no doubt have missed many more for the above reason.)

Thanks. Interesting app, the Wifi Sweetspots by Assia-inc.

One aspect I have never understood with the App Store. I looked up the app and, because I am using an iPad, the App Store defaulted to iPad Only and the app was not listed. Changing the menu to iPhone Only listed the app, but reading the app info says that it is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch...

Obviously the App Store needs a Both menu or something similar. (I think I read that the store app is being revamped, so perhaps there will be an imminent improvement. I have nearly missed several interesting apps over the years and no doubt have missed many more for the above reason.)
The iOS 11 App Store is similar when searching for iPhone apps on the iPad. You tap a Filters button at the top left of the page and manually select iPhone only.

Thanks Scifan57. The point is ( and it is a little off topic...) neither filters 'iPad Only' and 'iPhone Only' are 'only' and I wonder how many users think of searching both.

Thanks Scifan57. The point is ( and it is a little off topic...) neither filters 'iPad Only' and 'iPhone Only' are 'only' and I wonder how many users think of searching both.

I am also very bothered buy this feature. There must be a better way to handle it.
What really bothers me is when I buy one of my kids an app on their iPhone and then I go to download it on their iPad and I have to pay for an iPad version. It seems that if I just would have paid for the iPad version first I can download the iPhone version for free but not the other way around. It's quite strange how they do things sometimes. o_O

I am also very bothered buy this feature. There must be a better way to handle it.
What really bothers me is when I buy one of my kids an app on their iPhone and then I go to download it on their iPad and I have to pay for an iPad version. It seems that if I just would have paid for the iPad version first I can download the iPhone version for free but not the other way around. It's quite strange how they do things sometimes. o_O
If there’s a completely separate iPad only version of an app then you would have to pay again. Most iPhone apps, however, are what are called universal apps and will run on both iPhone and iPad. Check out the compatibility of the iPhone apps you download for your children to see if the same app will also run on the iPad. If it will, you can download it on their iPad without paying again.

Last edited:
Although there are a very few that require you to pay for each device even if they are all on the same AppleID. One of my guitar apps is like that