What's new

Wifi Connection privacy/ip address and detection question.

ej25

Reaction score
Hello. I have a great concern about connection to a WiFi connection at work. I work in a huge hospital where a public wifi is available for our patients and our memebers. My concern is if I connect to the wifi on my iphone4 would they be able to track my phone to me? my activities specifically to me? my data photos and history? what is it that they can see exactly? the name of my phone? my ip address? I turned my location services off on my phone. Any insight?

Thanks

Hello. I have a great concern about connection to a WiFi connection at work. I work in a huge hospital where a public wifi is available for our patients and our memebers. My concern is if I connect to the wifi on my iphone4 would they be able to track my phone to me? my activities specifically to me? my data photos and history? what is it that they can see exactly? the name of my phone? my ip address? I turned my location services off on my phone. Any insight?

Thanks

they will be able to see you connected and block sites you visit but thats about it.. they wont be able to track you or anything

ej25 said:

Thanks

That's an interesting question.

they will be able to see you connected and block sites you visit but thats about it.. they wont be able to track you or anything

so what do you mean " see you connected " as in see my ip address? what identity would they see me under? my phone name? my phone number? etc.

so what do you mean " see you connected " as in see my ip address? what identity would they see me under? my phone name? my phone number? etc.

well the router assigns a ip address to each device that connects and also when you name your device it will show the name.. for example 192.168.0.X and next to it will have the name of your device you gave it in itunes like -my iphone-

so pretty much useless info..

oh yes they can block each device that is connected from using the internet if they want

If your phone is jailbroken and has the original password then it will be dangerous. Someone could steal anything from your phone

I don't think that someone will be able to explore the content of the iPhone even jailbreak. All the can check is what you are downloading or uploading using the wifi, nothing more or less, they can't send you anything which will enter your iPhone, or explore your iPhone files or what so ever. The iPhone connect to the wifi, but not as sharing device or a device explorable over the wifi network.