What's new

wi fi short cut

why don't apple have one

Why DOESN'T iOS have a shortcut to turn off WiFi like Android does? Because it ISN'T needed on iOS. iOS simply works. WiFi uses less battery than 3G. So if it is available iOS uses it to HELP with battery life. By turning it off you are actually working AGAINST the battery savings that iOS can provide automatically.

That is the beauty of iOS over Android. It works.

Why DOESN'T iOS have a shortcut to turn off WiFi like Android does? Because it ISN'T needed on iOS...........

True. But in terms of wi-fi activity, and all which that encompasses, wi-fi is automatically turned off anyway when the device goes to "sleep" after a minute or so. Correct? Or............... perhaps I just don't understand the OP's problem with wi-fi. IMHO, it's not even a "deal."

Why DOESN'T iOS have a shortcut to turn off WiFi like Android does? Because it ISN'T needed on iOS. iOS simply works. WiFi uses less battery than 3G. So if it is available iOS uses it to HELP with battery life. By turning it off you are actually working AGAINST the battery savings that iOS can provide automatically.

So if Im at home, or whatever and there is wifi, I should have my wifi ON, and when I leave, just leave it turned on? And when I get back, its automatically connected?
Or is it best to turn it off when you leave, or what?

When leaving your WiFi on it will always reconnect to WiFi you've previously connected to... no need to turn it off.

When leaving your WiFi on it will always reconnect to WiFi you've previously connected to... no need to turn it off.
What Im getting at is if you leave it on, and there is no WIFI, will it drain extra battery?

What Im getting at is if you leave it on, and there is no WIFI, will it drain extra battery?

It will only cause a drain for the 1/5 of the second it takes to try to connect to the wifi routers in the known list when you wake the phone up.

So if you are waking the phone up every 15 seconds for a few hours, then yes it could cause a noticeable battery drain.

But something tells me you aren't doing that just for kicks :)

Now if you want to save a "little" extra battery, turn off "Ask to Join Networks"

Wow...can you say KoolAid.

Been a while since someone used that phrase on this forum without any context what-so-ever.

So I am curious why you choose to do that.

Of course it will drain the battery, These guys don't seem to get that. When left on it is always searching for active WiFi connections.