What's new

Why I don't trust positive app reviews.

ardchoille

Reaction score
Apple is one of the best companies on the planet, that makes some of the best devices on the planet, but there are some things they simply cannot control. Take app reviews and download numbers, for instance:

image.jpeg

This girl is sitting at a desk covered with iPhones. Notice the hand warmer in her lap and the fact that she's wearing a jacket. What would you guess to be the ambient temperature in that room? I see another iPhone-filled desk opposite her, so I'm guessing this is a warehouse filled with these desks. I also see that her chair has casters, which makes it more expensive than a regular chair but the expense aids her in switching phones so it was worth the expense for the person who is running this operation.

Her job is to download apps, post positive reviews, delete the app and then move on to the next developer who paid her to do that with their app. I'm guessing she never even opens the app before deleting it as that would slow her down and she's probably getting paid per review.

This not only adds fake reviews, it artificially inflates download numbers. So, it is my opinion that download numbers and positive reviews cannot be trusted. The negative app reviews reveal far more useful information which should be taken into consideration when deciding to install an app.

Remember to include the negative reviews in your research prior to selecting an app.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if other reviews can be trusted also, For example when looking at reviews to buy a new device or appliance.
That's a very good point, Ivy. I'm not convinced that Apple would resort to dedicating a team to artificially inflate device reviews, but that doesn't say that every company avoids this practice. I do remember some online companies being paid to put certain products and reviews at the top of search results and/or penalizing people who post negative reviews. There was a hotel that charged people a hefty sum if they posted negative reviews - this was part of the agreement they were required to sign before being allowed to rent a room.

As far as devices are concerned, I would think a positive track record would be far more valuable than consumer reviews.

Last edited:
That's a very good point, Ivy. I'm not convinced that Apple would resort to dedicating a team to artificially inflate device reviews, but that doesn't say that every company avoids this practice. I do remember some online companies being paid to put certain products and reviews at the top of search results and/or penalizing people who post negative reviews. There was a hotel that charged people a hefty sum if they posted negative reviews - this was part of the agreement they were required to sign before being allowed to rent a room.

As far as devices are concerned, I would think a positive track record would be far more valuable than consumer reviews.
Luckily the quality of Apple devices speak for themselves.

I just recalled how many times I have said the words....."Well its got good reviews" when looking online at appliances ect .

How much does the girl earn in the picture? Why don't i ever seen that kind of job?:eek:

Doubt that apple sponsors this. Very unethical behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They certainly don't and if Apple were to prove that this type of activity was used to manipulate the reviews for an app, that app would likely be removed from the App Store.

Oh, I would never believe anyone that told me Apple would sponsor something like this. And, as Ivy stated, the quality of Apple devices speaks volumes.. Apple doesn't need to resort to manipulating reviews.

They certainly don't and if Apple were to prove that this type of activity was used to manipulate the reviews for an app, that app would likely be removed from the App Store.
In fact, I remember hearing that Apple has indeed removed fake reviews at one time or another.

Oh my God! I always read reviews before installing an app

Wow, its terrible that things like this go on. I always go by reviews, now I guess I will wonder if it's a "real" review or not. [emoji35]

~Jenni~
iPhone 6 Plus/iPad Air

Last edited: