What's new

Why can't I make calls using other devices and messages won't sync?

berlingoodman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently I damaged my iPhone 5C, so my husband lent me his (exact same model) to use. I restored the phone to factory (not from my old backup), used my old SIM card, set it up with my iCloud and Mac ID and mostly it works just like my old one. BUT, since then, I'm not able to make calls using my iPad or laptop via my phone/Facetime. I always get a message that the call fails. Strangely, I'm able to receive calls on my other devices, just not call out.

Also, when I send a new message from my iPhone, it doesn't sync with my other devices, but syncing the other way around (iPad/laptop to phone) works.

I should add that making calls and sending messages with the phone itself works fine. It's just that I can't call out using my other devices and messages sent for my phone don't sync to my other devices.

I'm quite certain that all settings are correct on all devices (the iPad is set to make calls using my iPhone with the correct number, send and receive messages settings are correct, etc.).

Any thoughts? I really would rather not have to restore the phone again to try and get this problem resolved. Maybe this is some weird thing that will fix itself down the line?

Thanks to you all!

Hi again! I fixed this problem. Turns out my old broken iPhone was still listed in my iCloud account and my other devices were looking for that one. Simply removing it from my account in settings and re-enabling FaceTime and iMessage on all devices did the trick. Thanks!

I'm glad you could fix this on your own. Thank you for posting the solution for your problem. It might help another member in a similar situation.