What's new

Why are my contacts all out of order?

jmt356

Reaction score
Why are my contacts all out of order?
My contacts are all out of order. Contacts is putting a specific word in each of my contacts in bold and then alphabetizes based on that letter rather than by the first letter each contact. How can I get Contacts to alphabetize on the basis of the first letter of each contact?

You can choose the sort and display order in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars - Contacts.

Some of my contacts are quite long and go beyond the width of the screen. For example, I might have consecutive contacts in the following format:
University of Toronto - Information Services Department - switchboard
University of Toronto - Information Services Department - helpdesk
University of Toronto - Information Services Department - director

In my iPhone contacts, all I can see is:
University of Toronto - Informat...

The rest of each Contact gets cut off. The only way for me to find, for example, the director, is to open each contact individually until I find him.

Is there a way to either:
1. Reduce the font of the names in Contacts so that I can get the full names to display across the width of the iPhone; or
2. Set up the Contact names to wrap around so that the text that gets cut off continues below each respective contact.

Thank you

You can edit the information of your contacts either in the Phone app, or in the Contacts app. It works the same on both:

Tap the contact, and at the top right, you'll find "Edit". Then place the cursor where you want to change the name, and delete or change otherwise. Tap "Done" at the top right when everything is as you prefer it.

To reduce the size of the font, go to Settings - Display & Brightness - Text Size and either drag the slider to a place nearer to the left, or put your finger to the place where you want the slider to be. This will also reduce the text size in the Contacts app.