What's new

Which battery

brixtonboy

Reaction score
Closed everything setup the 2 iPhones the same, as far as l'm am aware.
On the left the iPhone 5s right iPhone 7
Keep your eye on the hour and battery usage.
Neither was used.

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

Have you checked Battery Usage in Settings to see if any Apps are running in the background and using data?

All apps on both phones were closed.
Nothing was running.
At the moment the readings are iPhone 5s 94%
iPhone 7-78%

I always doubted the quality of the battery power of this iPhone now l'm positive.

Looks like the larger screened higher battery draining phone has a brighter screen as well as a lower quality signal. Might not be apples to apples comparison...

Display and brightness settings were the same.
I did move both iPhones to shut them off.
And they are not back in exactly the same position, neither is the Sun.

This might sound strange and I doubt that this the case, but I do know for a fact that some wallpapers use more battery than others. Especially light vs dark and photos vs wallpapers. That's been my experience anyway.

Ok, given that being the case. Maybe you can explain how this effects this test.
Both iPhones were 100% charged and then switched off.
I do realise it was only a short test.
I needed to use the iPhone 7 or the test could have run longer.

Nope, I can't explain. Maybe your iPhone 5s is just better when it come down to battery drainage. That's always a possibility. The 5s was/is a very solid iPhone. I kept mine for 22 months and didn't have one problem with it except for storage because I made a critical mistake and got a 32gb

I get by with 16gb on iPhone 5s and should l ever need it there is a snap on battery that l bought for it.
I keep it with for simplicity.
The iPhone 7 has 128gb and is totally wasted on me.

There are too many variables for this to be considered a valid test.

I call shenanigans on this 'test'.

Ok name some please, in an orderly list one by one so l have a chance to answer a few.

wifi vs. LTE
background app refresh
location services
contrast/brightness
live wallpaper vs. stills
push notifications for email
battery percentage icon
raise to wake
auto downloads
bluetooth
airdrop
fitness tracker

Just to name a few. There's more but I don't have time to write them all out. Long story short, your newer iPhone has way more tech in it than just aligning your apps and letting it sit on the couch for a few hours to see the battery drain. I say again you test is a sham. Not apples to apples.

To be completely fair you can't compare without a controlled environment.

That would be like the auto industry comparing a 2014 Chevy Cruze to a 2017 Chevy Corvette 8-cyl and wondering why it uses more gas than the latter. Even though it's been driven down the same roads, at the same time of day with the same driver, same level of traffic, radio to highway ratio. Impossible to compare when you look at the builds under the hood.

Take time people, l'm just waking up. I do have some other things to do in my life.
If you check the screenshots the wifi, mobile data and Bluetooth are switched off. Both iPhones are set to turn off after 3 minutes but normally l switch them off straight away.
As was done in this short test.