What's new

Where have my Photo Albums gone on IPhone? Help please.

oilman4345

Reaction score
Hi.
I have owned many Iphones /IPads and thought I had a reasonable knowledge of most things.
However, when I removed some photos from my PC and went to sync the phone (via ITunes) NONE of my 80 main albums now show on the IPhone (except if I use the search button for a specific album. ) Therefore the photos ARE on the phone, but just not visible.
I update IOS to 10.1.1 a couple of days ago. Is there a new issue with that? I do not now want to sync my other IPhone and Ipad as I am assuming the same will happen.
Can anyone please clarify what the issue may be?. I have not changed any other setting and last sync before the issue was absolutely normal.
I have tried switching everything off and re-syncing but even if I highlight to sync specific albums there is no sign .

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

Is iTunes on your computer up to date? The most recent version is 12.5.3.

Hi and thanks for your response. ITunes was not at it's most recent version and I have now updated. However, the same situation still exists.

Are you using Photos for your album organization on the desktop/laptop?

(Assuming your library is on a Mac)

Hi. My laptop is a Windows PC ( I did try MacBook Pro but lost interest due to it's inability to store photos as I had always done in specific albums).All my photo albums show perfectly on my PC but as of 3 days ago NOT on my IPhone.

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled? If so, turn it off again.

For some reason I am edging towards the idea that Apple's most recent IOS update has changed the method of photo storing.
I have not synced my other IPhone nor IPad due to this thought.:(:(

10.1.1 was fixing problems with the Health app, and included security updates. Photo storing hasn't been changed. There haven't been problems with syncing photos either, since it was released.

Thanks for clarifying. I am therefore still totally confused.I have just sync'd my other IPhone and unticked the "sync My Photos". All fine and they still show up in my albums.
One thing I THINK happened when I sync'd the main phone 2 days ago is that the "sync my photos" was unticked (unusually), so I ticked it and it removed ALL my photos and then re-installed them - albeit in a format I cannot see without searching via the search button!

IF the same happens to anyone else, I have found that it has been possible to re-install the "My Albums" folders manually.
As the photos are on the phone (but not easily visible), do a search for each named folder, select all photos from that folder and then press "Add to".
It will create a "new folder" which you can re-name and drop the photos into.
Time consuming but I now have access to my 80+ albums on screen again.

I'm glad you found the solution for your problem. Thank you for posting it. This might help someone else in a similar situation.