What's new

What will happen if I back up my IPhone 4s with iPhone 3G?

IGaepora

Reaction score
Recently, I got an iPhone 4s and it has none of my app and game saves. All of this was on my iPhone 3G which I have the backup to in iTunes. If I restore my 4s with my 3G backup will there be any problems and will all my apps have the data from my 3G?

Recently, I got an iPhone 4s and it has none of my app and game saves. All of this was on my iPhone 3G which I have the backup to in iTunes. If I restore my 4s with my 3G backup will there be any problems and will all my apps have the data from my 3G?
Nope... that's the beauty of iTunes backups. You can go from iPhone to the next gen iPhone and restore it from the previous iPhone's backup. Good to go!

So there won't be any problems with the firmware? My 4s is running 5.1 while my 3G is running 4.2.1

So there won't be any problems with the firmware? My 4s is running 5.1 while my 3G is running 4.2.1
Nope... the backup only contains user data (pics, texts, games, apps, etc.) and doesn't reflect the iOS version. However, you may notice that some (chances are slim) apps aren't yet compatible w/ iOS 5.1. It won't hurt the process though. It'll just show you that that particular app isn't compatible and will ask you to remove it.

IGaepora said:

What does it mean when people say things like my iPhone 3G. I thought there were the 3 and 4 and now 4s iPhone. And the 3G and 4g is the speed that come with certain cell phone providers ?

I did the same thing about two month ago actually there won't be any problem just deleted a few of apps and i wish you will be able to reinstall them easily as i did.

What does it mean when people say things like my iPhone 3G. I thought there were the 3 and 4 and now 4s iPhone. And the 3G and 4g is the speed that come with certain cell phone providers ?
They're referring to the different iPhone models. Original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and now iPhone 4S.

Thomasjtsi said:
They're referring to the different iPhone models. Original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and now iPhone 4S.

Gotcha. Thanks

I DO NOT advise anyone to restore to 5.x firmware from a 4.x backup.. I have seen too many problems from doing that alone.

I DO NOT advise anyone to restore to 5.x firmware from a 4.x backup.. I have seen too many problems from doing that alone.

OK, what does this mean, specifically?

I have an iPhone 4, version 4.1 iOS, which is "backed up" in iTunes on my PC. If I upgrade my firmware to iOS 5.1 (or whatever it is) are you saying that I can't use my backup after the upgrade???? Note: before any iOS upgrade, iTunes does a backup. How in the world can that backup not be good when the new iOS is installed? That goes against all iTunes logic (which is an oxymoron anyway).

Or maybe I didn't understand your initial comment wording properly......