What's new

What is jailbreaking?

Hi, you shared really nice information here about the jail breaking I phone. I just knew a little bit about it jailbreaking is basically the process of freeing your device (thus the term jailbreak) from the limitations that are imposed by Apple. While the iOS is one of the most stable and secure mobile operating systems around, it can become too restrictive due to Apple's "closed" mantra. so I must say thanks for sharing such nice post.

OK I do have a couple of questions. I come from the Android community where we "root" our phones (Android equivalent of jailbreak) and then can install custom or stock rooted ROMS. I jailbroke my iPhone 5 as soon as I could after evasi0n was released for it. Now Apple has come out with IOS 6.1.2. How to I upgrade and maintain my jailbreak? The Android method was to wait for a "rooted version" of the ROM and flash that. From what I have read so far, I must upgrade, loosing jailbreak, then re-jailbreak and re-install all jailbroken apps and tweaks. Seems like a lot of work for every upgrade that Apple releases. How do I do all this and is there an easy way? Thanks in advance.

When restoring or upgrading any jailbroken device, it should be done on a computer. After restoring or upgrading, you'll lose your jailbreak, meaning you'll have to rejailbreak once you've upgraded/restored your device. You'll have to plug it into your computer, DFU mode the iPhone and restore using iTunes.

You don't have to upgrade your iOS. Like Android, upgrades are voluntary, though I'd say Android OS upgrades provide more than iOS upgrades since there're actual fixes on Android OS's and little to no bugs upon upgrading compared to iOS. My recommendation is to just stick with an iOS until another really attractive one comes out. I have 3 4S's, 2 of which are still on iOS 5.1.1, and my latter one is on the latest iOS since it's developer cracked, so I don't exactly have to care what iOS is on it, I'll still be able to run my developer stuff. I've yet to be attracted by iOS 6 because of all the bugs that's being dished out. Hopefully iOS 6.1.3 or 6.2.1 become a golden release with an untethered jailbreak like iOS 5.0.1 or 5.1.1. Maybe then I'll upgrade to iOS 6

jailbreaking your iPhone means freeing it from the limitations imposed on it by your carrier, whether that's AT&T or Verizon, and Apple. You install a software application on your computer, and then transfer it to your iPhone, where it "breaks open" the iPhone’s file system to allow you to modify it.

Some really good info here. As soon as I finish reading all the info about redsnow, I'll probably have a ton of questions as to why my 3gs won't get past the activation screen. I wish I didn't even have to do this since I only want to use it as an iPod touch anyways.

Last edited:
Some really good info here. As soon as I finish reading all the info about redsnow, I'll probably have a ton of questions as to why my 3gs won't get past the activation screen. I wish I didn't even have to do this since I only want to use it as an iPod touch anyways.

Jailbreaking with RedSn0w will hacktivate your device though you mug need to install UltraSn0w to keep the device from going back to the activation screen

Ugh. I'm so sick of this. Where do I get it? The web and download it to my computer? If so, where? I see nothing about it in Redsn0w. And how many viruses am I going to download with THIS now?

I keep getting "ERROR. Please reboot to normal condition, shut down, and try again." I've done this so many times I'm about ready to drop this thing in the trash. I CAN'T GET TO NORMAL CONDITION, REDSNOW! And why can't I find even a miniscule set of instructions for Redsn0w? "Wanna' do this? Click here. Select this. Click here. Back. Click. Wait. Outcome should be __________. At this point, I don't even care anymore if the maps, mail, and calendar don't work. I just want to get a working device again. (Even just partially would be fine.)

Last edited:
I have a Sprint iPhone 5 I bought to repair. I am with Verizon. I was told the only way I can use it is by jailbreaking it. How? Thanks!

You have to unlock the device, not jailbreak it. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate entities and are not related to one another.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

You have to unlock the device, not jailbreak it. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate entities and are not related to one another.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Even if I unlock it, Sprint says their device will only work with international carriers, not verizon

If you obtain an unlocking service for any CDMA carriers, the device will only be usable outside of US soil. If you buy an interposer such as the R-SIM, you'll be able to use it on any carrier, domestic or international.

Thanks for the "total" explanation. Great job