What's new

What is going on with Apple?

dyrelogan

Reaction score
"Your Apple ID, ************************** was just used to download The Torch Radio from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID."

What is up with this email I got from Apple? I have my iPod touch 4G registered with my Apple ID that has never changed and is always the same on all my Apple devices yet I got this email after downloading an app. Can someone explain to me what is going on? I know this is an iPhone forum, but I have not found an iPod forum app, although I'm sure they have one. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Not certain as I've never received an email like this from Apple. It's one of two things most likely... a spam email from an imposter w/ a link to change your Apple ID password. Or, a legit email from Apple that's telling you your Apple ID has been compromised. Definitely check w/ Apple CS as soon as possible to see if the email is legit or not.

I got the same type of email after making an App Store or iTunes purchase, I forgot which now, with a new iDevice. If you made the purchase, just delete the email. If you didn't, then contact Apple CS.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF.net

Last edited:
Apple will send you a message like that to inform you a new device is now registered against your account.

It is a security measure that will help you identify if your account has been compromised. This policy was put into place after several iTunes accounts were not only compromised but hundreds of dollars worth of software, music and movie were bought on that account without the owner's of the account permission.

The email will be formatted like the following:

Dear {User name on file for this iTunes account},

Your Apple ID, {email address on file for this iTunes account}, was just used to download Best Buy Reward Zone from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with that Apple ID.

If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email. It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.

If you did not initiate this download, we recommend that you go to iforgot.apple.com to change your password, then see Apple ID: Tips for protecting the security of your account for further assistance.

Regards,
Apple

This is a very good "early warning" system from Apple and I applaud them for finally taking proactive steps to keep their users informed to what is going on with their accounts.

I got the same emails yesterday after making a purchase from the app store. Before downloading the app it had me verify my apple ID and create security questions & answers along with a backup email address.

It must be a new security measure Apple has introduced because I my wife's iPhone was required to go through the same process (her phone uses a different Apple ID).

From my  iPhone 4S 16GB Black

I really appreciate all the responses here. Thank you for your valued input. I will say this. I have had my iPod for just under a year and I have not used a different account or email or anything. I did download the app that was included in my first post, and thus received the email telling me to create three security questions. Which I did. The thing that baffles me is that I have purchased, or downloaded on this same iPod, using the same account info and it never gave me trouble before. Like the previous poster, I think perhaps it is a new security measure of Apple.

Apple have implemented new security measures,however if you think your account has been compromised then do take steps to secure your account and contact Apple if you still unsure.

Poisonivy said:
Apple have implemented new security measures,however if you think your account has been compromised then do take steps to secure your account and contact Apple if you still unsure.

No it hasn't been compromised. I did download that app. I was just taken aback by the new security measure. Not that I know it is a new feature I can breathe easier. I really like the new security measure.

No it hasn't been compromised. I did download that app. I was just taken aback by the new security measure. Not that I know it is a new feature I can breathe easier. I really like the new security measure.
yes its good that Apple are addressing this,so many people have had their accounts compromised in the past.