What's new

What do you think of the iPhone 5S?

Picked up an iPhone 5S yesterday. The first issue I encountered was with Gmail. I forgot that Google disabled the IMAP feature. Not a big problem I just re-added my account.

I'm not thrilled with the resolution of the 5 S. IMO, the 4S has better resolution. My old eyes may be the issue :)

I note that several of my old apps, including the iPhoneForum app and iPadForum app, open immediately then close. My guess is these apps have not been modified to support iOS 7 or 7.1

Mike

Picked up an iPhone 5S yesterday. The first issue I encountered was with Gmail. I forgot that Google disabled the IMAP feature. Not a big problem I just re-added my account.

I'm not thrilled with the resolution of the 5 S. IMO, the 4S has better resolution. My old eyes may be the issue :)

I note that several of my old apps, including the iPhoneForum app and iPadForum app, open immediately then close. My guess is these apps have not been modified to support iOS 7 or 7.1

Mike

Hey Boss!

4S and 5S use the same exact pixel density and size. But there was a change in the layering of the screen itself for the new touch screen. It is now thinner which allows more light thru. Would suggest you set the text bold on to see if that helps.

iPhoneFourm app does work under iOS 7.0.1 (which hopefully you have updated to already). You may need to delete, readd and then relogin to get it to work. Also you will need to turn off "Background App Refresh" for that application until Apple and the Devs figure out a bug that will screw up login credentials when the app is in background mode.

Hey Boss!

4S and 5S use the same exact pixel density and size. But there was a change in the layering of the screen itself for the new touch screen. It is now thinner which allows more light thru. Would suggest you set the text bold on to see if that helps.

iPhoneFourm app does work under iOS 7.0.1 (which hopefully you have updated to already). You may need to delete, readd and then relogin to get it to work. Also you will need to turn off "Background App Refresh" for that application until Apple and the Devs figure out a bug that will screw up login credentials when the app is in background mode.

I'm getting more comfortable with the 5S. I deleted the two apps and reinstalled as you suggested and both work! The glass is very very thin so the phone is very light.

Overall, I really have no issues. And, yes, I did update to 7.0.1

I'm getting more comfortable with the 5S. I deleted the two apps and reinstalled as you suggested and both work! The glass is very very thin so the phone is very light. Overall, I really have no issues. And, yes, I did update to 7.0.1
same here. It felt like it could slip out my hand any minute a few days ago. Now I'm pretty comfortable with handling it.

I picked my 5s up today, and so far I am absolutely loving it!! I upgraded from an iPhone 4, so the differences are quite marked. So much lighter, and the larger retina display is absolutely gorgeous. Also loving iOS 7. Most of the stock apps are a big improvement, and the Contacts, Calendar and Weather App are really quite nice.

Last edited:
I picked my 5s up today, and so far I am absolutely loving it!! I upgraded from an iPhone 4, so the differences are quite marked. So much lighter, and the larger retina display is absolutely gorgeous. Also loving iOS 7. Most of the stock apps are a big improvement, and the Contacts, Calendar and Weather App are really quote nice.
Hey Jez, thats a nice jump from iphone 4, huge difference, enjoy :)

I went from a 4 to the 5s gold. Had to wait a few weeks for it, but that's okay. Getting used to the extra length. The speed is great. Everything is quick and smooth. The transition went smoothly and everything seems to be working as it should. Don't have some of the other issues that some people have experienced. Think we've got a winner here!