What's new

What can i do to save iphone battery draining so quick?

Uzair1991

Reaction score
Only had my iphone (6s) a few months and the battery is just getting worse :(

is there anything i can do to help this?

Hi l don't have the answer for you sadly.
I do have the same problem with my iPhone 7 had it about 7 months. I'm switching back to my
iPhone 5s.
Have your contacted the Apple help line, by any chance? Members here will no doubt be along with suggestions for you to try.
Good luck

Is your iPhone still under warranty? If so, premature decrease in battery life is covered under the standard warranty if your battery retains less than 80% of its original battery life during the first year. If you’re close enough, a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store can test your battery to determine if it’s defective.

My 5S just went from 82% to its current 60% in just under 9 minutes, 1 more to 59 (oops now 58) since starting this reply

4 minutes later...
IMG_1500939979.771464.jpg

And already at 53%. Only thing running is IPF

One more pic...
View attachment 34689
[emoji33][emoji15][emoji33]
I noticed that the iPhone Forums app is working in the background. Try going to Settings and scroll down the list of apps until you get to the iPhone Forums app and turn off background app refresh and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

One thing you must do is to calibrate your battery. Put your iPhone to charge with a usb lightning cable, than press the home button and the on and out knob the same time until you see the Apple logo to restart your iPhone. The charging must go to 100%, than you let your iPhone still going to charge for about 60 minutes. The battery is recalibrate. Try is and it will work. I had the same problem.

Pressing Home and Power button is rebooting/force starting your iPhone. It's not calibrating your battery.

You can calibrate you battery percentage meter, not your battery. To do this, let your device run down until it shuts off by itself, then charge it completely. There's nothing else you have to do.

It's recommended to do this once in a while, not regularly.

I had a smiliar issue with my iPhone last year and gave up so I switched to a Galaxy S8. I've had friends experience this too, but I don't think some people realise they need to look after the battery, and do things like let it completely drain (avoid putting it on charge at 2%) and take it off charge when it reaches full capacity instead of leaving it plugged in over night. These can really affect the battery life in the long run.

The optimimum battery for Li-ion batteries is between 50-100%, so it's healthy to keep it in this range. I've also heard (unsure how true this is) that it's very damaging for the battery to leave your phone in direct sun/heat.

There are changes to the phone settings (some good ones listed above) you can try with to help reduce your battery usage there's loads of blogs out there with instructions like this one > EDITED

If all else fails, i would advise getting a powerbank you can carry around with you :(

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be taking it to my local apple store for it to be tested (it's still under warranty) this weekend:)

If it doesn't pass for a new battery replacement then a powerbank it is!

I had a smiliar issue with my iPhone last year and gave up so I switched to a Galaxy S8. I've had friends experience this too, but I don't think some people realise they need to look after the battery, and do things like let it completely drain (avoid putting it on charge at 2%) and take it off charge when it reaches full capacity instead of leaving it plugged in over night. These can really affect the battery life in the long run.

The optimimum battery for Li-ion batteries is between 50-100%, so it's healthy to keep it in this range. I've also heard (unsure how true this is) that it's very damaging for the battery to leave your phone in direct sun/heat.

There are changes to the phone settings (some good ones listed above) you can try with to help reduce your battery usage there's loads of blogs out there with instructions like this one > EDITED

If all else fails, i would advise getting a powerbank you can carry around with you :(
Neither plugging in the charger when the battery reaches 2% or leaving it connected to the charger all night will cause any harm. What can cause harm is running the battery right down and not charging it.

Neither plugging in the charger when the battery reaches 2% or leaving it connected to the charger all night will cause any harm. What can cause harm is running the battery right down and not charging it.

That's why I said the optimum battery is between 50-100% and it's healthy to keep in this range?

I noticed that the iPhone Forums app is working in the background. Try going to Settings and scroll down the list of apps until you get to the iPhone Forums app and turn off background app refresh and see if that makes a difference.

I was in the app, just went to settings to show what little was chewing battery reserve. It doesn't always run down that fast, but when it does watch out because it gets really warm