What's new

wet or damage sensors in iPhone 4s?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have read several articles on the wet or damage sensors in iphone4 being activated by sweat ect not actually getting wet thereby tripping the sensors to red and voiding the warranty,this is quite worrying i think,does anyone know if 4s has these sensors,in 4 they are in the headphone jack and the dock connector,would appreciate feedback on this,thanks.

There's a well known how-to site (not naming any names) that has a very in depth, step by step teardown of the 4S. Showing the location of all the moisture strips. With that, it's not necessarily that the phone needs to get "wet" in order for the strips to activate. It's the "moisture" from anything the phone comes in contact with. Wither it be dropping it in the toilet, your kid spilling juice on it, having it in your sweaty pocket... or even using it on an iHome system in your bathroom while taking a shower (this one from personal experience). From what I can tell there are sensors in the bottom of the headphone & dock connections, as you mentioned. As well as 2-3+ internally.

There's a well known how-to site (not naming any names) that has a very in depth, step by step teardown of the 4S. Showing the location of all the moisture strips. With that, it's not necessarily that the phone needs to get "wet" in order for the strips to activate. It's the "moisture" from anything the phone comes in contact with. Wither it be dropping it in the toilet, your kid spilling juice on it, having it in your sweaty pocket... or even using it on an iHome system in your bathroom while taking a shower (this one from personal experience). From what I can tell there are sensors in the bottom of the headphone & dock connections, as you mentioned. As well as 2-3+ internally.
thanks,can you inbox the name of the site please.

Message sent...
thanks,good site that,i had a look at the breakdown and i could only see one strip that they pointed out,il check again,I'm sure theres more than one tho,i asked apple and they say there arnt any???no one seems to know definitively,i really would like to know tho so if you come across any more info could you let me know?thanks.

thanks,good site that,i had a look at the breakdown and i could only see one strip that they pointed out,il check again,I'm sure theres more than one tho,i asked apple and they say there arnt any???no one seems to know definitively,i really would like to know tho so if you come across any more info could you let me know?thanks.
From what I could tell on that site... there is a white moisture strip on one side of the home button board and a red moisture strip on the other side of the home button board. While they don't nake reference to the headphone/data jacks having strips, I have "talk" on several sites about there being strips in those locations. I will, however, hit you up if I see anything definative on those. You're very welcome!

From what I could tell on that site... there is a white moisture strip on one side of the home button board and a red moisture strip on the other side of the home button board. While they don't nake reference to the headphone/data jacks having strips, I have "talk" on several sites about there being strips in those locations. I will, however, hit you up if I see anything definative on those. You're very welcome!
thanks,in the mean while i am thinking of ordering an Otterbox defender case for my 4s,i read that they give protection to all the ports and are supposed to be very good,there are some i like the look of more but i think its important to protect my new baby.

I have an Otterbox Defender Case and that is an awesome case. Granted you better still not drop it in the water, but if you splash liquid on it, no big deal.
I would recommend that you search online (amazon) for that case. Don't waste $50 getting it at a retail store you can get to for around $20.

Poisonivy said:
thanks,in the mean while i am thinking of ordering an Otterbox defender case for my 4s,i read that they give protection to all the ports and are supposed to be very good,there are some i like the look of more but i think its important to protect my new baby.

I've been using the defender/commuter since March and I love these cases. The only complaints I have with the otterbox products is the dust and lint that gets trapped in the cases. Now the ports do stay lint free, but lint will somehow get trapped in between the back of the case and the back of the phone. I just take my phone out every other day and wipe the phone and case down.

Though its a small price to pay to have this protection. I've had my iPhone take a couple of tumbles in the defender and it's come out unscathed each time. Besides I have big hands and I actually prefer the extra bulk! The cases look attractive IMO. Both of my cases are white/black. The white doesn't become stained over time either.

Otterbox has great customer service as well. My first defender cases silicone was stretching out and otterbox sent me a whole replacement case for free! Well they have made a lifetime customer out of me! :D

Hope this helps!

Thankyou both,i was hoping to go to a store and buy one but no one stocks them in my town so i will have to make my first online purchase,i still dont know if there are moisture strips outside as well.

Honestly, when I first got my iPhone 3G I agonised for months over the risk of triggering the moisture strips with sweat or a rogue raindrop.

My advice? Don't sweat it (pun intended!). You need to be in pretty extreme conditions for these things to trigger by accident. And the advice a Genius has is that more than one strip needs to be triggered to be "proof" of immersion.
Weigh that up with you ever needing to return the device within it's warranty, and actually being caught out with mistakenly triggered strip and it's pretty slim you will ever have a problem.

The "outside" ones are in the dock connector and in the headphone jack, for reference...

Just enjoy your phone :)

Honestly, when I first got my iPhone 3G I agonised for months over the risk of triggering the moisture strips with sweat or a rogue raindrop.

My advice? Don't sweat it (pun intended!). You need to be in pretty extreme conditions for these things to trigger by accident. And the advice a Genius has is that more than one strip needs to be triggered to be "proof" of immersion.
Weigh that up with you ever needing to return the device within it's warranty, and actually being caught out with mistakenly triggered strip and it's pretty slim you will ever have a problem.

The "outside" ones are in the dock connector and in the headphone jack, for reference...

Just enjoy your phone :)
Ah right thanks,dont know why apple couldnt have verified that,it arrives tomorrow woohoo.

Thanks,il take a look.

I have the Griffin Survivor, direct competitor to Otterbox. highly recommend it and has a semi rigid plastic screen window, no lint issues. Dropped phone several times, once from 16ft ceiling height to concrete, no damage and cheaper to buy.