What's new

Water Damaged

bayerngk

Reaction score
Usual question about a water damaged iPhone 4. My phone sat overnight in a mug of water. The water was about 3/4 of an inch deep and the headphone side was the side that was submerged. It was about 4 or so hours. I did and have been doing the rice thing for a week now. The first times I tried to turn it on (24 hours later and then 48 hours after that) it did not do anything.

I then decided to put the bag of rice on top my dryer for a few loads of laundry, using the vibrations to shake some of the water (if there was any left) loose to be absorbed by the rice. 24 hours after doing that I plugged it in and it made it all the way to the home screen before getting the spinning battery dying indicator and it then died on the charge. I have kept doing the dryer thing and checking it every 24 hours and the Apple icon always comes up and the spinning icon always comes up before it gets to the home screen.

Does anyone have any idea what any of this might mean? I figured the water couldn't have gotten to far or done too much damage to anything except the top part since it was only about 3/4 inches submerged, but obviously that's not the case. And I am also wondering why it wouldn't turn on at all on days 2-4 but now it will but won't go any further than the Apple screen.

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

Is this post for real ?
4 hours in a mug of water.
Unlike you , I'm not surprised it doesn't work.
I'm shocked it done anything after that.

Sent from iPhone

Usual question about a water damaged iPhone 4. My phone sat overnight in a mug of water. The water was about 3/4 of an inch deep and the headphone side was the side that was submerged. It was about 4 or so hours. I did and have been doing the rice thing for a week now. The first times I tried to turn it on (24 hours later and then 48 hours after that) it did not do anything.

I then decided to put the bag of rice on top my dryer for a few loads of laundry, using the vibrations to shake some of the water (if there was any left) loose to be absorbed by the rice. 24 hours after doing that I plugged it in and it made it all the way to the home screen before getting the spinning battery dying indicator and it then died on the charge. I have kept doing the dryer thing and checking it every 24 hours and the Apple icon always comes up and the spinning icon always comes up before it gets to the home screen.

Does anyone have any idea what any of this might mean? I figured the water couldn't have gotten to far or done too much damage to anything except the top part since it was only about 3/4 inches submerged, but obviously that's not the case. And I am also wondering why it wouldn't turn on at all on days 2-4 but now it will but won't go any further than the Apple screen.

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

What was it doing in a mug for 4 hours anyway?

Is this post for real ?

Sent from iPhone

Maybe it was in a cup of water for 4 hours because of a drunken night out. I once woke up with a kebab stuck to my face! I think if it is true, that this phone has gone to iPhone heaven though.

iHolophyte

Just curious why did you leave your phone in a mug of water overnight?

Sent from my 64gb iPad

spiritwalker said:
Is this post for real ?

Sent from iPhone

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my 64gb iPad

Maybe it was in a cup of water for 4 hours because of a drunken night out. I once woke up with a kebab stuck to my face! I think if it is true, that this phone has gone to iPhone heaven though.

iHolophyte

Haha :)

Sent from my  iPhone 4S using Tapatalk ☠

Drunken night out is the correct answer. The whole thing was not submerged, it was just the headphone side, about 3/4 of an inch deep. I never said I was shocked it didn't work, far from it. I just was wondering, since it has responded somewhat positively that someone might have a theory on what it was doing.

Thanks for the help though, I think.

You never know what it might do. Give it a little more time, keep it in the rice and see what happens. That's all you can do. Good luck!

FWIW it did ring while it was in the mug and did respond out of the water.

bayerngk said:
Drunken night out is the correct answer. The whole thing was not submerged, it was just the headphone side, about 3/4 of an inch deep. I never said I was shocked it didn't work, far from it. I just was wondering, since it has responded somewhat positively that someone might have a theory on what it was doing.

Thanks for the help though, I think.

Why did you put the phone in water to begin with? That part does not make sense.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

Why did you put the phone in water to begin with? That part does not make sense.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

Does anyone PUT an iPhone in water? I woke up from a drunken night out and it was in the mug. I don't know how it got in there, and honestly it really doesn't have anything to do with it getting fixed.

I left the phone on charge after another Apple icon appearance. It ended up waking up and charging fully. Once unlocked the screen flickers and dims eventually to black and locks itself, but as soon as I press the home button it lights up like normal. I decided to turn it off, take the SIM out and let it sit in the rice on the dryer some more. It may not work fully as far as apps etc, but at least I'll be able to communicate. I'd really like to take it apart to see if there's any more water (which IMO is very unlikely) but I don't have a pentalobe screwdriver.