What's new

Was Verizon Fair?

Did Verizon Treat Me Fairly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hookbill

Reaction score
Last Friday when I got my iPhone5 there was a problem with activation. Not the same that many of you went through mine was different.

I was put through to a level 2 tech and after a rather long wait while he spoke with Apple he said I needed to remove the Sim Card. He suggested using a safety pin. I said I didn't have one but I had something else that I could get in there with, a letter opener. He said see if you can't get in there and pull that card out.

It took some work to do it and I saw physical damage happening. I told the tech this many times, he kept telling me I need to get the card out. I got the card out and then it took me a while but I got it back in. My hands weren't steady, I was nervous, excited and upset about the obvious damage to the phone.

After we got the card in the phone picked up the Verizon network. I told him yeah but you caused me to damage the phone. He said wasn't anything he could do about that, talk to Apple.

The next day the phone was leaning on my computer and slipped. Not a fall, just a jolt. And all of a sudden I saw "Sim Card Missing" on the phone.

I took the phone to a Verizon Store and the guy was giving me the "you broke it" look. I told him the story and asked him to please just pull the tray out and put the card in. He did and the phone connected again to the Verizon Network. He warned me that my warranty may be void.

I steadied the card simply by putting a small piece of scotch tape on the card slot. But it was still bothering me.

Today I got the download for instructions on the phone. I saw that the sim card was suppose to pop out with a push in the hole, not go in there and pull like he told me. I decided I wanted a replacement. I called Verizon and explained in more detail what had happened. I told her that basically I have a burr and tape holding my card tight and it was a result of the instructions I received from the level 2 tech on the phone. I wanted a new phone.

She said OK, let me see what I can do. About a minute later she was back on the phone. She informed me that I did not have insurance on the phone. Well, I just about flew out of my chair because I selected the best insurance Asuiron offered. I did call during the week before my phone arrived and told the rep that I was canceling the insurance on my wife's TBolt effective Friday. She went through it with me and said no problem.

Well apparently both insurance was cancelled. But the rep said don't worry, I had 7 days after activation to purchase the insurance and she put it back on for me. She said this is a damage phone so it needed insurance so I cold make a claim. She also said Verizon would reimburse me for the cost of getting the replacement phone since the tech had not walked me through it properly.

I decided that would work and agreed to do it. She told me to tell Asurion exactly what happened and that Verizon advised me to call them and they were picking up the replacement cost.

I'm pretty sure that my reimbursement will come in the form of a credit, that's OK that pays for my wife's phone and my phone next month. But I'd like your opinion. Do you think it was fair? Should Verizon have overnighted the phone immediately to me? Or do you think I shouldn't have got anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forums are funny. Sometimes you think you post the most interesting thing and it jus #fails. I didn't expect a lot of comments but I thought some people would vote in the poll. Maybe I'll change it to annoymous for those who may be afraid to speak up.

I read ur post bro. Haha. I think they did right by you and were definitely fair.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You know probably most iPhone people know how to get the sim out. First iPhone, I didn't know. Glad I called just to get the insurance straightened out.

When my Samsung Fascinate screen spidered for no reason and the phone wasn't even 2 weeks old, after some discussion they did replace it on the spot even though I also had no insurance.

In your case .. IMO .. no way should that tech had you remove the sim card. It should be on them.

I think it's insane that the Level 2 rep. had you using ANYTHING other than a SIM removal tool... or a small paper clip. Wow... just wow!!!

OK. I missed this first time round, so here goes. The SIM removal tool is supplied in the box, and the Verizon tech should have known this. If I was his boss, he would now be an ex-Verizon tech for his abject stupidity in asking a new iPhone owner to use anything but that tool to do the job.

So, whatever else might be going on, I'd say the Verizon store is up for a replacement phone, and if you don't get it, I'm pretty sure AT&T will value your custom next time around.

Of course, if you have any iPhone questions, you can also ask here. The irony here is that any of us would have told you not to take that letter opener anywhere near your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Didn't they stop supplying the SIM removal tool when they came out w/ the 4, Kevin? I know my iPhone 5 didn't come w/ one.

Didn't know that. I'm one of those peasants with a 4. I made an assumption here. Still wouldn't take a letter opener to it, though.

Didn't they stop supplying the SIM removal tool when they came out w/ the 4, Kevin? I know my iPhone 5 didn't come w/ one.
you didnt get the little tool? My 4s and 5 came with one.

Nope... no tool. Where was it in the 5's packaging?!?
right,in my box on top of the phone theres a little white envelope with some phone info inside,the tool was attached to the envelope.

It is pretty small. It wouldn't even be worthwhile shoving it up the Verizon guys nose to remind him what they look like.

I couldn't see them shipping without it, but, like I said, my last iPhone was a 4, so things can change.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Seriously... wasn't a SIM tool in my box. Wasn't in my iP4 box either back in 2010. :-( I do, however, recall it being there when I bought the 3GS.

Last edited: