What's new

wacky software problems

cnbcad

Reaction score
I have a iphone 4 that was running 4.1 and was jailbroken. Everything was working fine until one day I saw an app on my phone called apple store. it opened but would tell me it needed to update and no matter how long you gave it on wifi it would never finish. later in same day i noticed that several apps were missing. they were built in apps like app store, and camera... when i looked in categories it showed that they were supposed to be on screen. they showed up in spotlight but nothing happens when try to open from there. noticed a couple more third party apps disappeared. decided to try upgrading to 4.3.3 to see if would fix. it didn't and all traces of jailbreak gone. more apps dissapeared. some will open to a black screen with the toolbar on top and the only way to get rid of it is to reset.

Can anyone help?!?
thanks,
bill t

Last edited:
If you upgraded to 4.3.3 all traces of jailbreak would be gone because that would be the case. Upgrading does restore your phone and leaves it in a NON jailbroken state. You'd have to jailbreak it again after upgrading.

From what you've written above you had a weird problem on 4.1. Then according to what you've written you upgraded to 4.3.3. That left the phone in an UN jailbroken state which is normal, and correct. What apps disappeared or open to a black screen? Where did you get those apps from if they are not the standard ones that get loaded by default.

I have once before had a similar problem where I noticed things were 'missing' from my phone. I actually rebooted it and they were all back. I've also had a few instances where all of a sudden (and using after using Cydia) I'll have weird icons on my screen which don't do anything at all. Again I reboot and they are gone, I think that has happened twice.

Now that you have upgraded to 4.3.3, try jailbreaking again and see if that helps.

i tied jailbreaking at jailbreakme.com, but it would not recognize the iphone as an iphone.
apps disappearing are app store apps and some of the builtins; camera, app store itunes.

thanks for answering. in my searching i found some similar problems that didnt appear to be resolved

bill t

i tried jailbreaking w redsnow and nothing. Safari is now gone too.

help