What's new

Voice memo utility

iljasb

Reaction score
I just recently got an iphone as a gift. I can use it in a basic way as I have hitherto never used a sophisticated mp. I was about to buy a digital recorder to conduct interviews probably each lasting about 90 minutes. Now that I have the iphone, can I use the voice memo facility to record the interviews? If so can I simply record them and then upload them to a digital file so that I can send to a transcribing service. I understand the interviews will be in stereo if I install something called FiRe on my iphone but other than that I don't have a clue. Do I need an external microphone to conduct the interviews with say someone sitting across a table or desk from me? Appreciate any practical advice. iljasb

Nope... you'll be good to go as long as all subjects are within a 10'-12' radius of each other. Something that will save you a little trouble is putting you iDevice in Airplane mode while conducting interview. This will keep any outside calls, texts or emails from interrupting the process.

Can you please give me an idea of the size of file say a 90 minutes interview is likely to be. I ask because I'm wondering if I can keep a whole bunch of interviews on the phone and then upload to my mac sometime later or should I upload asap? One more, how much battery %age wise am I likely to use up with a 90 minutes interview?

Can you please give me an idea of the size of file say a 90 minutes interview is likely to be. I ask because I'm wondering if I can keep a whole bunch of interviews on the phone and then upload to my mac sometime later or should I upload asap? One more, how much battery %age wise am I likely to use up with a 90 minutes interview?
Honestly... those are hard things to put a number on. If you use it in Airplane mode then it shouldn't affect the battery very much. I would suggest doing a test... set the phone up in Airplane mode near a TV and record 90 minutes of audio. Then use that as a benchmark for answering your questions.