What's new

Visitng the uk for a week.

joeblow9104

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm visiting london for a week visiting family and I wanted to know in your opinions what's the best micro-sim deal around? Both my wife and I will have our phones, so whatever we get, we'll probably get two....
I thought the Three 300 minute for £12 was pretty good. Comes with 1gb of data and 1000 texts. Much more than I'll use.
I've found in previous trips that if I get just a 5 or 10 pound top up, I always use it all within a few days so I wanted something that will cover us for sure.
Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF.net

3 is pretty good,i top up on line and get 600 free texts and 150mb of free internet.......yes the one you mentioned sounds good.

3 is a good deal .... Like most good deals there is a reason , the reason is rubbish service, even in London. If you want good coverage, go O2!!
FYI worth I'm on orange, I like orange ( since 1996)
But if it didn't have such good support, I would change to O2... My employee jumped from orange back in October and since he has been on O2 he delights in telling me he has NEVER seen the No Service symbol pop up ....
If you travel out of London with 3, you might as well bring a couple of cans and some string ;)

Forgot to mention, company called giff gaff who use the O2 network, worth a look

Wow! When I was in london last I didn't have any trouble with 3....
Thanks for the heads up though.

3 can be a little bit patchy around the country but honestly i really dont think you would have a problem.

joeblow9104 said:

Agreed, I have had no issues with 3 in London......out in the country it's another story.

I would also advise to look at Giff Gaff as well as 3.

The Archangel

Giff Gaff looks even better than 3! Cheaper.
Does anyone out there have experience in terms of coverage, dropped calls, signal strength, etc.
Is the data actually unlimited?

In the next few days I need to make the decision since I'll be in London next Wednesday and I want the SIMs waiting for me when I get there. thanks very much for all your help!

Well as giff gaff uses the O2 network ( once called cellnet)
I don't think you have any concerns about signal etc...
As to is the giff gaff deal true, suggest you read their small print, although I have a friend on it in Kensington London and she says it's very good

Hello again! I have another question for everyone...

I got my phone from America and brought it to the UK to use it for the first time. At that time it was iOS 5. In the UK I used giffgaff which suited my needs perfectly. After I left England, I went back, put in my regular sim - and it didn't work. I had to go into the phone settings and delete the giffgaff package. Ok, no problem...

Now I'm using iOS 6... and my question really is this - when I go to England and I start using giffgaff again... and then return home, how will I get my phone working with my regular sim?

I'm concerned because in iOS 5 I noticed I had much more control over the actual settings of the phone - carrier settings, etc. With iOS 6, I don't really see any options to play with...

I hope what I'm asking is understandable. Please let me know what you all think! Thanks very much!

I did not work? As in ou could not make calls or send texts or just the data connection was not working?

Unleashed said:
I did not work? As in ou could not make calls or send texts or just the data connection was not working?

Unfortunately, I don't remember. But I think the problem was mainly the Internet.

Unfortunately, I don't remember. But I think the problem was mainly the Internet.

The interned settings should update automatically when you enter the sim into the phone, if it does not with AT&T you can easily find them and change them back to AT&T s settings

as a related aside to this thread, i went on holiday to the Dominion Republic fir 2 weeks. I run a small business.

i have found in the past phone calls and data costs can skin you alive especially outside of the EU.

so i diverted my mobile to my home voice mail and bought credit on Skype to phone landlines. the internet on site where we stayed cost about £20 for 15 minutes, to use a phone you had to buy $30 in phone cards. i fortunately found a bar which as long as i bought a drink it gave me free WiFi.

So using Skype i dialled my UK VM Number on my iPad2 for 1 UK Penny per minute.

Now that is what i call a bargain :).