virus protection

Discussion in 'Verizon iPhone' started by azonie, Mar 21, 2011.

1. azonie

azonie New Member

New to iPhone, and wondering what everyone is using for virus protection their iPhones???
  2. bab2010

bab2010 New Member

No virus protection. There is no virus able to affect the iOS so don't worry at all about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. azonie

azonie New Member

Based on recent info on news and net, not sure this is correct statement. i think that is wishful thinking!!

Anyone else have an opinion?
  4. iGaz

iGaz New Member Staff Member

You still don't need antivirus. It's true the latest update had a security flaw in safari but that has already been patched by apple with 4.3.1...
  5. azonie

azonie New Member

My Verizon iPhone is on version 4.2.6. How do I upgrade to the latest version you are talking about.
  6. ictthunder17

ictthunder17 New Member

That version is for the gsm model.
  7. iCrank

iCrank Member Staff Member

apple iOS is completely safe. I've had apple for a few years now. that's the one feature I love about apple products
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  8. icstars989

icstars989 New Member

Are you that naive? Of course it can get viruses. The only reason apple has been "safe" for so long is because they never had any market share, no one used them so why bother wasting time on coding a virus for em? Now that they are becoming overly popular and businesses are starting to use them you can bet people will be working on this.
  9. iCrank

iCrank Member Staff Member

i guess I am. don't you think if someone could do it. it would've been done. you just stated that its been safe for so long. I have never encountered one virus issue with my iOS and at this particular moment in life viruses dont exist (it may exist but won't hurt a iOS/apple products. what do you mean no one used them?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  10. icstars989

icstars989 New Member

Macs in general have been safe because of their limited user base. They've only recently become relative. iOS has had worms and such in 09. Iphones and Safari are constantly hacked at pwn2own, even the blackberry got hacked this year by way of apples open source webkit code. So yes, it can easily be done and is naive to think you're completely safe, ever. Will the iPhone get a virus, sure, is it something you need to worry about as a pertinent threat right now? Probably not.
  11. gottasrt4

gottasrt4 New Member

Trend Micro has a Smart Surfer App that'll help prevent any malware from infecting your iphone. only downside is it doesn't flip to the side like Safari,....>=oP
  12. azonie

azonie New Member

What does it mean "don't flip to the side".
  13. gottasrt4

gottasrt4 New Member

when you turn the phone on its length-wise (I prefer to type that way), some other keyboards go with it...this one doesn't. if you type with the phone upright, then it's not a problem.
  14. jhnjohn

jhnjohn New Member

iPhone antivirus will help you to protect your system from any other infected malware, virus or to any other trojan attack. With the help of this recovery software safari browser which is hitting you system and damaging can be solved from this software only.
  15. Col.bris

Col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I do not agree unless you jail break any iOS device you are safe. The above is just a money making marketing pitch. If you jail break you may have issues

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net
  16. azonie

azonie New Member

So far no virus issues with iPhone. But will be getting iPad once iPad 3 released. Just not sure what is going to keep out virus once on Internet for iPhone or iPad.
  17. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Active Member

The reason no viruses affect a smart phone like viruses affect pc's/laptops is the way the Internet is written over a smart phone. Let's say you get emails via your pc, the numeracy that's written via this way allows for viruses to slip in. The reason there has been no issues via a smart phone, iphone or otherwise is the numeracy writing is completely different. You can see this when you click on some web pages and it takes you to a mobile version of the website. When a virus tries to attack your smart phone (and believe me they do) the number side if things doesn't recognise it so doesn't allow it through. Smart phone web only allows a certain batch of numbers anything else is thrown out. Hackers are constantly trying to bypass this but up to now its impossible. This is why you don't get viruses nothing to do with apple. How ever more and more are opting to use their smart phone pretty much like a laptop. But even then the software inside your smart phone still acts the same way. A mobile version. It's a hackers nightmare!

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk
  18. gottasrt4

gottasrt4 New Member

sure, different languages, but malware's becoming increasingly prevalent in the mobile sector, especially for Android. so far the most common attack vector is a Trojan embedded in a fake app. It is interesting how Apple's not affected...but I've attributed it to a single app store and a closed architecture.
  19. Darkstar2007

Darkstar2007 Administrator Staff Member

That's exactly why Apple isn't affected. They review every app that comes through. Android let's apps run wild, then has to go look for the malicious app when reported and remove it. That's a downside to the "open app market".
  20. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Active Member

Exactly. And let's hope apple never change this.

Sent from my iPhone 4 iOS 5 using Tapatalk