What's new

Video that was deleted yesterday still uploading

ardchoille

Reaction score
I created a video yesterday on my iPhone 6 and deleted it a few minutes later. This morning I went into Settings > Photos & Camera to find that a video is still being uploaded. I've only created one video in over a year so it's clear which video is being uploaded. I deleted that video yesterday, why is it still being uploaded? I've checked the Photos app and there are only three picture there, no videos.

I have a feeling that every photo and video that I've ever taken is being stored in my iCloud Photo Library. What I would like to do is see the entire iCloud Photo Library and be able to delete specific photos and videos. How do I see what's in the iCloud Photo Library? I currently do not have access to a Mac or PC, so I'm using only iOS devices. I tried visiting iCloud.com, but there are only 5 photos there, no videos, and the photos all have an exclamation character on them with no way to see the actual photos.

So, my questions:
1) how do I see my entire iCloud a Photo Library when I only have iOS devices?
2) how do I remove all media from that library?
3) how do I stop media from being automatically uploaded to that library?
4) once I delete a photo or video from my iPhone, shouldn't that photo also be deleted from iCloud?

1.- Log into your account at iCloud,com and select photos. Your entire iCloud Photo Library is there for you to view.

2.- To delete items from your iCloud Photo Library go to iCloud.com and log into your account. Go to photos and tap on select. Tap on each photo or video you want to delete and tap on the trash can icon.

3.- The only way I know to disable automatic uploads to iCloud Photo Library I'd to go to Settings>iCloud>Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library. This will stop any uploads from that device but the next time you turn iCloud Photo Library back on it will upload all photos on your device not already in iCloud Photo Library.

4.- Deleting photos and videos from your device won't delete them from iCloud Photo Library.

1.- Log into your account at iCloud,com and select photos. Your entire iCloud Photo Library is there for you to view.

2.- To delete items from your iCloud Photo Library go to iCloud.com and log into your account. Go to photos and tap on select. Tap on each photo or video you want to delete and tap on the trash can icon.

3.- The only way I know to disable automatic uploads to iCloud Photo Library I'd to go to Settings>iCloud>Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library. This will stop any uploads from that device but the next time you turn iCloud Photo Library back on it will upload all photos on your device not already in iCloud Photo Library.

4.- Deleting photos and videos from your device won't delete them from iCloud Photo Library.
Thank you, sir! :)

So, it's more of a permanent storage service than it is a syncing service, this is where I misunderstood things.

I'll just turn off iCloud Photo Library and leave it off. I see no need to save a photo forever and leaving the setting off alleviates the need for me to keep returning to iCloud and deleting photos.

As soon as you have access to a computer again, you should back up your photos on the computer. You could also store a backup on an external hard drive to maximize the number of locations where your backup is stored.

As soon as you have access to a computer again, you should back up your photos on the computer. You could also store a backup on an external hard drive to maximize the number of locations where your backup is stored.
Actually I don't see much value in keeping photos forever. I usually take a photo, do what I need to do with it and then delete it. I rarely keep photos for more than 24 hours.

Your advice on keeping more than one backup in more than one location is some of the best advice I've heard - I do keep documents for many years, so a good backup scheme is a must.