What's new

Video Report Highlights the Danger of Unprotected Printer Servers

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score

Something a little different here for the news page. It’s a video that was posted on the forum by Good karma, who thought it contained some useful information for forum members, and we think so too, hence we’re highlighting it on the main page. Basically, it’s a 30-minute programme that focuses on the dangers of smart printers. In particular, it looks at HP’s ePrint and WebScan features for their new printers, which enables you to print from a mobile device simply by sending an email to the printer, even when you’re not home. The video also points out that these printers now come with a web server that can broadcast to the Internet, but which is unprotected, with the password disabled, which some people may not be aware of. In the video, it shows how the investigators have been able to start thousands of scanners remotely and access sensitive data.

I know this is something that some of you out there will already be aware of, but I certainly wasn’t, and it’s well worth watching if you’ve got a spare 30 minutes. A very interesting investigation.

[FONT=&amp]Source: [/FONT]Big thanks to forum member Good karma for the heads up on this story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, well done to Maura and especially GoodKarma. Very scary watching it too! Amazing how those people found out that sensitive information like passport details, I.D. Info etc... Was accessed via their work/home printer from a stranger.