What's new

Using Time Machine

dave307

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Air 2017.
Had an issue few days ago had to make a reset with the assistants of good old YouTube.
Did the job okay took quite a while
Now decided to use the Time machine that’s built in to the MacBook..
Will be using an external drive for the back up.
One item is bothering me is when I go to make the first backup to the external drive will any part of that backup go to the internal drive of the MacBook.
Or will everything be entirely on the external hdd connected via usb. Then maybe in a week or two I can connect the external drive and make another backup. My main concern is will it take up space on the internal MacBook hdd. As I don’t want to overload the MacBook drive. It’s a 256gb.
Many thanks.hope someone can put my mind at rest with my dilemma.
David. ;)

A Time Machine backup is stored entirely on the drive designated as the Time Machine backup drive. One thing the Time Machine backup doesn’t backup is the operating system. When you restore a mackbook Pro, it’s restored with the operating system that was on the computer when it was produced. You then update to the latest version of macOS, then transfer the data from the Time Machine backup. How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

Many thanks for the reply.
So what you say the time machine only backups the documents photos etc.
What I have been doing up to now id drag and drop all docs etc to an external drive, Thats just as time machine would do?
Many Thanks
David.

Many thanks for the reply.
So what you say the time machine only backups the documents photos etc.
What I have been doing up to now id drag and drop all docs etc to an external drive, Thats just as time machine would do?
Many Thanks
David.
Time Machine backs up everything on the computer except the operating system. It even backs up the exact state of the computer. If you had a certain document open on page 34, it will still be open on page 34 after the Time Machine backup has restored your computer.

Okay.Silly question maybe, Will using the time machine add any extra to the internal drive.Or will it all be on the ext drive.Thats what I really wanted to find out.
Sorry.

The Time Machine backup is completely stored on the Time Machine backup drive. No part of the Time Machine backup is stored on the internal drive.

Okay Thanks I think I got it now sorry to be a pain in the rear.
Many thanks once again
David.

Time machine is awesome. It backs up every hour on tbe hour so if you loose a file you can go back in time to restore it.

I install minimum 2 hard drives for my clients. One dedicated for time machine minimum size 2 tb TBD other I use “Carbon copy cloner” This clones the main drive so in event of a total crash and loss of internal hard drive you can start up from the clone.

I suggest both drives stay connected at all times. If you go away put the clone backup with friends or in a safe.

Dave307. Mate you are never a pain in the rear. All our team are here to assist That’s what this forum is about. We love doing what we do best. Supporting users world wide.