What's new

Using Account $ Rather Than Credit Card ?

Bob11

Reaction score
Hello,

First "Smartphone," and a Sr. Citizen, so please put up with a few basic questions regarding APPS.

Have just started buying some APPS for the first time.

I downloaded the free edition of an APP that runs just fine, but has a few limitations, and a few ads.

From within the APP, you can pay for their "full," normal edition.

Fine. I tried to do so, and the only option that comes up seems to be
using my credit card to do so. No option to use the few bucks I have in
my Apple Account.

Hate to give out my credit card No.

Is this normal ?
Any way to use against my Apple Account ?

Shouldn't it check, "automatically," first
to see if there is any $ in the Account before asking for a credit card ?

Is this an option that the Developer decides upon ?

Thanks,
Bob

If you purchased an iTunes card for the App Store, and there's still some balance, the money needed for purchases in App Store, iTunes Store and iBooks Store will be taken from there, not from your credit card.

It's possible to change your payment method to "None", if you don't want to use your credit card. That has to be done in iTunes on your computer, you can't do it on an iPhone. If you set up Family Sharing, it's necessary to have the credit card as payment method, though.

Hope that helps.

I personally always use an iTunes gift card, I feel its safer and if you shop around you can sometimes get an offer in supermarkets ect where they are discounted.

I personally always use an iTunes gift card, I feel its safer and if you shop around you can sometimes get an offer in supermarkets ect where they are discounted.
I'm using an iTunes gift card right now.

I'm using an iTunes gift card right now.
They are so convenient aren't they, They make good Christmas presents too when you just don't know what to buy for someone.

They are so convenient aren't they, They make good Christmas presents too when you just don't know what to buy for someone.
They certainly are. You can even get an iTunes gift card that can be loaded with any amount from $5.00 to 500.00.

They certainly are. You can even get an iTunes gift card that can be loaded with any amount from $5.00 to 500.00.
I have a nice balance at the moment but no idea what to spend it on, I wish Apple would allow spending in the Apple store too.

I have a nice balance at the moment but no idea what to spend it on, I wish Apple would allow spending in the Apple store too.
For that you'd have to use Apple Store gift cards. Is would certainly be nice if Apple had a universal gift card that could be used for any online purchases, iTunes as well as the Apple online store.

Last edited: