What's new

Upgraded and preparing forsale...

Macette1

Reaction score
I need a little help people. I have just upgraded my iPhone 5 to the latest software via iTunes. I am now on the "Hello" screen. I want to prepare this phone for sale so not sure which way to do it. Should I set this phone up again only as a new phone this time before I erase all. All my stuff has been transferred to my 7. The old phone is still in my devices on iCloud not sure when to remove it from there. Should I be signed out of cloud before doing anything else. Can I get some step by step instruction please. Does the hello screen mean it is already prepared for sale ? And I just have to take it off my cloud. ...[emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the phone you intend to sell:
1. Turn off Find My iPhone, or remove it from your iCloud account using a web browser
2. Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings
3. You're done, the Hello screen is where the new user needs to start from

The most important thing is to remove it from your iCloud account so the new owner won't have to deal with an iCloud locked phone.

Last edited:
On the phone you intend to sell:
1. Turn off Find My iPhone, or remove it from your iCloud account
2. Settings > General > Reset > Erse all content and settings
3. You're done

Hi ardchoille, I can't turn off Find my phone, I have just updated software on old phone and it's on hello screen ready to set up again. Maybe should setup first and then reset.. I wasn't sure what was left on the phone after a software update. I can just remove it from iCloud from my iPad is that what you mean, I'm confused....[emoji30]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would go through the set up again and then follow Ards steps, That should work.

Hi ardchoille, I can't turn off Find my phone, I have just updated software on old phone and it's on hello screen ready to set up again. Maybe should setup first and then reset.. I wasn't sure what was left on the phone after a software update. I can just remove it from iCloud from my iPad is that what you mean, I'm confused....[emoji30]

No, you're good. Before you sell it, open a web browser on a desktop computer, go to your iCloud.com account and remove that phone from your account. It's easiest to turn off find my iPhone, but if you've already reset the phone you can simply remove that device from your account using a web browser, either way works the same.

No, you're good. Before you sell it, open a web browser on a desktop computer, go to your iCloud.com account and remove that phone from your account. It's easiest to turn off find my iPhone, but if you've already reset the phone you can simply remove that device from your account using a web browser, either way works the same.

So by updating the phones software it has reset it to factory settings ready to set up as new or restore and there will be nothing of mine left on it...then I can just remove it from iCloud....see I never actually reset the phone through settings I just thought I would put it on the latest software first.

So by updating the phones software it has reset it to factory settings ready to set up as new or restore and there will be nothing of mine left on it...then I can just remove it from iCloud....see I never actually reset the phone through settings I just thought I would put it on the latest software first.

Updating the software on the phone and resetting the phone to factory settings are two completely different things. Updating the phone retains all of your settings and data, while resetting to factory settings will erase all content and data. If you plan to sell the phone what you need to do is going to settings > General > reset > erase all content and settings. That will remove all of your data and prepare a clean slate for the new owner.

All data on an iPhone is encrypted by default. During a factory reset, the encryption keys are destroyed, so there is no chance that anyone, including apple, could ever access your data after a factory reset (no available encryption/decryption keys means no access to the data).

Updating the software on the phone and resetting the phone to factory settings are two completely different things. Updating the phone retains all of your settings and data, while resetting to factory settings will erase all content and data. If you plan to sell the phone what you need to do is going to settings > General > reset > erase all content and settings. That will remove all of your data and prepare a clean slate for the new owner.

All data on an iPhone is encrypted by default. During a factory reset, the encryption keys are destroyed, so there is no chance that anyone, including apple, could ever access your data after a factory reset (no available encryption/decryption keys means no access to the data).

Thank you so much that's explains all. I hooked up to iTunes turned off find my phone and iMessage restored to factory settings. The phone is on the hello screen now. I checked icloud devices and it's not there anymore. So I think it's ready now. I will check my devices on iTunes account to make sure it's unregistered. Thanks again [emoji1303]

Thank you so much that's explains all. I hooked up to iTunes turned off find my phone and iMessage restored to factory settings. The phone is on the hello screen now. I checked icloud devices and it's not there anymore. So I think it's ready now. I will check my devices on iTunes account to make sure it's unregistered. Thanks again [emoji1303]

You're welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help :)

You're welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help :)
It comes from not fully understanding why you are doing something...my confusion enhanced by the Hello screen looking the same when I updated the software and when restoring to factory settings. Apple may be able to help poor individuals like me by having a very different Hello screen for a complete restore to factory settings to let you know when its done right...lol. Your patience was much appreciated ...:)

It comes from not fully understanding why you are doing something...my confusion enhanced by the Hello screen looking the same when I updated the software and when restoring to factory settings. Apple may be able to help poor individuals like me by having a very different Hello screen for a complete restore to factory settings to let you know when its done right...lol. Your patience was much appreciated ...:)
Have you checked to ensure that the Hello screen you're now seeing is the right one? The button/link at the bottom of the screen will let you know - tapping that button/link should take you to a country chooser screen if you've done the reset properly.

No worries, I love helping people and jumped at the chance to help you. Hang around these forums, you'll learn tons of neat stuff - these forums have been crucial in my journey for knowledge.

Have you checked to ensure that the Hello screen you're now seeing is the right one? The button/link at the bottom of the screen will let you know - tapping that button/link should take you to a country chooser screen if you've done the reset properly.

No worries, I love helping people and jumped at the chance to help you. Hang around these forums, you'll learn tons of neat stuff - these forums have been crucial in my journey for knowledge.

My next screen is Language not country... should I be worried....

My next screen is Language not country... should I be worried....

Nope, no worries, Language is the correct screen - I was wrong (but close!), it's been a while since I've done a factory reset on an iPhone. All is well :)

Nope, no worries, Language is the correct screen - I was wrong (but close!), it's been a while since I've done a factory reset on an iPhone. All is well :)

Phew ! ....That's a relief...thank you [emoji16]

Had it been a software update instead of a factory reset, that next link would have been to your Home screen showing all of you app icons.