What's new

Updating to new iOS!

xAphex

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken iPad 3 iOS 7.0.6 and i was wondering if i update it to 7.1.1 via iTunes will it remove my jailbreak and all my stuff (like a brand new ios)?

I have a jailbroken iPad 3 iOS 7.0.6 and i was wondering if i update it to 7.1.1 via iTunes will it remove my jailbreak and all my stuff (like a brand new ios)?

Yes. If you restore the iPad using iTunes, you will be on a stock iOS 7.1.1 (no jail break). It will be "like new."

Marilyn

Yes. If you restore the iPad using iTunes, you will be on a stock iOS 7.1.1 (no jail break). It will be "like new."

Marilyn
But i don't want to restore it i want to update it from 7.0.6 to 7.1.1 without removing all my current stuff, and i am doing that to get rid of the jailbreak!
Will it work?

But i don't want to restore it i want to update it from 7.0.6 to 7.1.1 without removing all my current stuff, and i am doing that to get rid of the jailbreak!
Will it work?

If you have a jail broken device, you will want to restore it versus upgrade it. The main reason is that files (on the phone) have been moved around by the jail break. If you upgrade, the best that can happen is you lose data space (as the upgrade will put files where Apple had them, not where the jail break put them). The worst is that the upgrade may not work at all because the phone is so different from what iTunes expects.

Restoring is an easy process and you will not lose your current "stuff." Just make a backup first and, when prompted to by iTunes (after hitting the Restore button) put the backup onto the phone.

When you are finished restoring, if you use a backup, your phone will be exactly as before ... except it will be on iOS 7.1.1 and not jail broken. You will not lose any settings or data.

Marilyn

To add, not all packages are compatible with iOS 7.1.X, so even if you were to keep all your stock data and packages during the upgrade, your device will more than likely go into a boot loop right off the bat during the updating (not upgrading) process if not after the updating process and the device attempts to boot onto the springboard the first time.

Yeah, I think there is a new jailbreak for ios 7.1.1 by a Chinese developer or something alike, "pangu" I just used it to successfully jailbreak my iPhone 5s running on ios 7.1.1.
I advise u check it on YouTube or reply if u need help to do that. Best luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk